Thread: Kodiak bear hunters seeing many deer?

Default Kodiak bear hunters seeing many deer?

I've been hearing mixed opinions on the winter kill this year, just wondering what you guys have seen first hand while chasing bears around. I'm going wither way, just wanted to know what to expect.

I don't have first hand knowledge, but from what I have gathered, the northern half/part of the island got hammered with snow and so did the deer population. The southern half received normal snowfall and the deer herds didn't suffer anymore than normal.

Yeah, that's what I've heard as well. Just wondering what the guys on this site have seen. Looks like quite a few guys head down to Kodiak to spring bear hunt.

When we were out we saw a live one about once per day. Course, might have been the same one over and over... Heck of a lot of winter kills though... I don't know what is normal for the area (Wild Creek) but there was one place I could stand and see a full dozen winter kills.

I haven't seen a whole lot of deer since the thaw and they moved off the roads. The ones I am seeing are looking good tho, saw 2 last night and one this morn down on the roads, they looked healthy and had pep in the step.

I spent about 3 weeks total filming spring brown bear trips, one in Uyak Bay and one down south. From what I saw and info I picked up from the locals there was a high amount of winter kill this year. I saw a lot of fawn kill around Uyak Bay and did see deer on the south end but not the quantity the locals would expect. Good luck!
    Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel

I sure hope this winter doesn't push the population back too far, they had really been rebounding over the past few years from what I've heard. Just part of the cycle up there I guess.