Thread: JW Outfitters

Default JW Outfitters

got me a used JW Outfitters Alaskan. Does anybody have any info about them. I know they are out of business. Its my first raft and plan on using it till it falls apart. mainly looking on info for psi reccomendations, weight restricitons etc... any help would be appreciated. Also where are some good places for a first time oarsmen to get some practice. Will be trying it out on local lakes when i get back from the slope on monday! I know it floats i was able to take it out on jewel lake for about 15 mins before i had to go home and get ready to come up north.

I am not sure about what exactly your boat is, but get in touch with me at sotaralaska@yahoo.com and I will be glad to make time to look at the fabric and possible give you an idea. Have been selling and using all different types of rafts for over 30 yr.-- no charge. I am in Anchorage.
    Goo

Is that a Jack's Plastic Welding boat?

Quote Originally Posted by Kraig View Post
    got me a used JW Outfitters Alaskan. Does anybody have any info about them. I know they are out of business. Its my first raft and plan on using it till it falls apart. mainly looking on info for psi reccomendations, weight restricitons etc... any help would be appreciated. Also where are some good places for a first time oarsmen to get some practice. Will be trying it out on local lakes when i get back from the slope on monday! I know it floats i was able to take it out on jewel lake for about 15 mins before i had to go home and get ready to come up north.
    Hello Kraig,

If I recall these boats are a lightly constructed softer PVC coated 1100-1200 nylon base cloth. It will likely have vinyl bladders with zippered access under a flap. Frames are typically black colored powder-coated aluminum. Very similar to Scad boats... inexpensive yet easy to repair in most cases unless the light-gauge zippers go south.

This is not an inflatable to go hard core in (go easy), extensive UV will degrade the fabric, repair needs are relatively basic. Should have a decent inflation pump and go ahead to inflate to minimal deflection around 2.5-3 psi. Do not leave this boat out in the hot sun at full pressure!!! The zips, threads and seams may blow!!! Keep 'er clean and inspect components regularly.

Good places are to more or less stay on the conservative side of moving water to smaller lakes... have fun as in mostly entry-level, and do not commit to demanding ventures unless you have some other boater support in higher quality inflatables.