Thread: Huge rock slide just before Haley Creek

Default Huge rock slide just before Haley Creek

I'm not sure if anyone else mentioned it, but there's a pretty massive rock slide right as the trail drops down the hill into Haley Creek. I didn't think to take a picture until after we left. It's big and impassable - for now. One of the rocks where the trail used to be is the size of my Toyota pickup. I'm sure folks will get creative in getting through it, but it's a BIG slide and pretty much all rock. Up until that point, the trail was pretty much samo-o-samo.

It's a easy crossing; looks worse then it is. Now, when you GET to Haley cr there is a good bedrock DROP in to the crick; watched a couple ppl come out, nice wheel over the back side if not careful. Other then that, not bad. Sandy and I were on a 25yrs old Honda 300 4x4 with 2 coolers and 3 nets.

Enjoy the scenery, and take ER easy.

"It's a easy crossing".........hmmm, pretty much feeling like a weinie right now!

Quote Originally Posted by jpost View Post
    "It's a easy crossing".........hmmm, pretty much feeling like a weinie right now!
    Lol, sorry jpost; I grew up riding/racing wheelers so I'm very comfortable crossing nasty/technical terrain.

You are correct, it is a bit nasty/hairy in spots. 4x4, 1st gear, taker easy and all should do fine. Good tip to whom-ever; if you DON'T like heights, may I suggest that you look straight ahead at all times, there are 2 spots, maybe 3 that the trail is just wide enough for your wheeler, and those couple spots I can see someone "goosing the throttle" to much and................. Over backwards they go.

how did you do dipping

I am pretty sure you are both talking about two different spots. Haley Creek that Jpost is talking about is completely impassable by anyone at this point regardless of who is doing the riding--unless your Honda 300 have a rotor capable of lifting them across. Maybe some confusion over where Haley Creek actually is. Haley is the end of the road where the dipnetting legally stops. I think what AKDSLDOG is referring to is the big rock drop before the tunnel?

Quote Originally Posted by Ken R View Post
    I am pretty sure you are both talking about two different spots. Haley Creek that Jpost is talking about is completely impassable by anyone at this point regardless of who is doing the riding--unless your Honda 300 have a rotor capable of lifting them across. Maybe some confusion over where Haley Creek actually is. Haley is the end of the road where the dipnetting legally stops. I think what AKDSLDOG is referring to is the big rock drop before the tunnel?
    Nope, drove right up to "Haley creek" and stopped. The bedrock drop in to the creek was to large for me to try with 2 ppl and gear, could of done it alone and empty; just no need to risk it, was no fish.

Tunnel?

Ah hah - maybe I'm not a weinie after all!?

AKDSLDOG - did you drive your atv through a very large tunnel? If not, you didn't get to Haley Creek. As mentioned, Haley Creek is pretty much the end of the trail as there is no longer a bridge across Haley and Haley is a good sized very swift creek. Now at low water I've heard of folks crossing Haley with atv's, but probably not this time of year. The slide I speak of is impressive in size and it did not even cross my mind to attempt to cross it. There is a bedrock drop into a creek before the big tunnel. I always make my dog and passenger get off the wheeler there, but it's very doable. The new rockslide not so much, unless you are seriously hardcore and have one of those rotor lifts that Ken R speaks of .

Quote Originally Posted by jpost View Post
    Ah hah - maybe I'm not a weinie after all!?

AKDSLDOG - did you drive your atv through a very large tunnel? If not, you didn't get to Haley Creek. As mentioned, Haley Creek is pretty much the end of the trail as there is no longer a bridge across Haley and Haley is a good sized very swift creek. Now at low water I've heard of folks crossing Haley with atv's, but probably not this time of year. The slide I speak of is impressive in size and it did not even cross my mind to attempt to cross it. There is a bedrock drop into a creek before the big tunnel. I always make my dog and passenger get off the wheeler there, but it's very doable. The new rockslide not so much, unless you are seriously hardcore and have one of those rotor lifts that Ken R speaks of .
    This must be where we were; never seen or went through a "Tunnel". Stopped at the "bedrock drop" in to a small creek; I ASSUMED (yeppers, ya know what happens now! lol ) it was Haley creek. I'm not a chitna pro; but would like to be! :-)

Was just looking at the update on the web site, not looking great but, seems a steady 8k a day past the sonar; maybe next weekend?

Good luck on round two for 2012. I'll be back in late July or early August which is generally a pretty safe bet for getting fish. You'll have to take a drive through the tunnel and to the big rock slide next time. Cheers.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Kiddo and i walked the slide above hailey creek last weekend.... no body had ATV d across it they all stopped before it. Nor will anyone with half the mtn side laying there, slope is 40degrees + with large granet boulders that made walking trecherious. We were dropped by boat and camped there.
    And to ne clear it is directly before you go down the hill to the old tressal, so atv that do make it in may walk down to the corner folks like
    Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk