Thread: S&W Internal Lock

Default S&W Internal Lock

As some of you may already know, I am in the process of researching and deciding on a decent big bore DA revolver as a protection weapon in the deep woods.

So far, I keep hitting the wall when it comes to S&W revolvers that come with their silly internal lock. I'm pretty leery about it because of the high profile warning and failure. We have no control over why S&W continue to produce revolvers with the internal locks and so, let's not go there.
    Question is this: did any of you experience failures of the internal lock while shooting hard on your S&W 44 mag, 460, 500?

Default No problems

I've got both the .460 and .500 Xframes as well as the 329 and 357 PDs and I haven't had a hint of trouble with the locks. The 329 PD is the really nasty gun to shoot esp. with heavy loads so I would expect it to fail first.

If one is really worried about the lock - simply take it out or dis-able it! No big deal to remove or simply remove the projection that locks the hammer. Shouldn't take long at all but I'm not sure- I've left the locks on mine as I think it is a non-issue. I suspect most of the anti-lock publicity came from the Ruger fans but remember it was Ruger that screwed up their perfectly good SA with all their silly transfer bar junk.

Buy your large bore S&W and don't look back.

Quote Originally Posted by arthury View Post
    As some of you may already know, I am in the process of researching and deciding on a decent big bore DA revolver as a protection weapon in the deep woods.

So far, I keep hitting the wall when it comes to S&W revolvers that come with their silly internal lock. I'm pretty leery about it because of the high profile warning and failure. We have no control over why S&W continue to produce revolvers with the internal locks and so, let's not go there.
    Question is this: did any of you experience failures of the internal lock while shooting hard on your S&W 44 mag, 460, 500?
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

@ arthury,after reading the links on your post,I don't think I would trust one unless the lock was removed.I have and older 629 with no lock,but was considering purchasing a newer one.Anybody know if there is a revolver smith in AK that can/will remove them ?

I am not sure if any reputable gunsmith would want to swallow this legal poison pill and remove the internal lock for you. It doesn't look too difficult to remove it yourself. There's a YouTube video somewhere.

The only issue is with finding an exact screw to cover the hole after you remove it; otherwise, you may encourage dirt to get into the innards of the gun when you are in the woods.

Someone is selling a custom plug to cover the hole but it cost $26. I am not convinced I want to spend that money just for a tiny plug.

Never had an issue with the lock on my 629 but if it bothers you then go and get a Redhawk. It will save you a few buck as well. I'm just partial to the Smith's!

Good Luck!
    John
    Life is too important to be taken seriously.

Chinese proverb

Quote Originally Posted by JC in AK View Post
    Never had an issue with the lock on my 629 but if it bothers you then go and get a Redhawk. It will save you a few buck as well. I'm just partial to the Smith's!

Good Luck!
    John
    You are kidding ? About the Redhawk,that is............

I think when,not if,I get a newer one,it shoudn't be too hard to remove/disable the lock.

Never had any issue with any of my locks but some people have. Some super glue the arm inside, some remove the arm, some remove the whole thing and plug the hole. Most gunsmiths will do at least one of these things if not your choice of any of them.

If I were to remove mine I would buy the plug and remove it all, this doesn’t alter the gun at all and the parts can be put back. I believe Alaska Custom Firearms is a plug dealer for Anchorage and I think they said on here they would install for free if you buy it from them.

But like I said I got many thousands of rounds down quite a few guns with no issues at all here.

Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

It's not the likelihood, it is the consequences.

Have read about too many 'lockups' to be comfortable carrying a 'Lock' S&W Scandium/AirLite/X-frame. But I am not a lawyer or a gunsmith, nor do I own any S&W with a lock except a 351PD (which I have shot twice; it is loud).

If I ever do get the best .44 Special DA revolver ever made, the 329, it will promptly get a 'Plug' from the guy that sells them over on the S&W forum or Alaska Custom Firearms (who I read is stocking them). $26 bucks? We can eat at home one night that I would otherwise take my wife out, or skip 2-3 restaurant lunches.

If I skipped 2-3 lunches I would be better off too!
    Last edited by scottr; 06-09-2012 at 23:17. Reason: spelling

Take a look at a post I made titled "500 S&W locked up". I think that the internal lock on mine screwed up. I can assure all that I will have that lock out of there by September. You will also notice the list of repairs and the lock was never mentioned although I complained of the problem. The problem was stated as cylinder cramp. What is that in english, how did it occur and how was it repaired? No answer. The lock, Smith simply ignored the lock issue. If the lock was checked and found ok why not tell me, if not don't tell the owner, is this what is called a cylinder cramp?

Sometimes, when lawyers are in charge of things in the design of products, it leads to stomach cramps, which manifests itself as cylinder cramps, from time to time; but, in general, they are originate from organic wastes, whether they are bovine in nature or not.
    Yes, I saw your posting, redale, and I empathize with you. One thing for certain, they will *never* admit.

One other thing we can do is and when it happens again, think about the steps that caused it and document them.
    Try to reproduce the problem and make them public.

That way, if the issue is reproducible, they will not be able to ignore it when it is public.
    just a thought ... It is all for the sake of the shooting community --- to make it better than when we found it.

Anything mechanical can malfunction and the stupid locks are not immune from Murphy’s law. I do suspect that many of the guns that are thought to be lawyer-lock malfunctions have nothing to do with the lock or the lock wasn’t fully cycled to the un-locked position. But because the warrantee departments don’t tell us anything we are stuck guessing.

“Cylinder clamp” is one of the many names for the locking bolt, indexing lug, timing pawl . . . it’s the thing that fits into the external notches of the cylinder to lock it in place.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Andy, Might be a misprint but the return bill said Cyl. cramps, not cylinder clamp. Just repeating what they sent to me. Even asked the wife just to be sure I wasn't going goofy.

One other thing we can do is and when it happens again, think about the steps that caused it and document them.
    Try to reproduce the problem and make them public.
    Well, Clinton was elected in 1992, then re-elected in 1996, and in March of 2000 ...

That way, if the issue is reproducible, they will not be able to ignore it when it is public.
    just a thought ... It is all for the sake of the shooting community --- to make it better than when we found it.
    Obama was elected in 2008, and ...

Oh wait, you meant mechanically within the gun and the lock mechanism?