Thread: Making the drive...in late April

Default Making the drive...in late April

My wife and I will be headed to Alaska in mid to late April and are planning on driving up with her car in tow. What kind of weather should we expect up that way? Our final stop will be in the Anchorage area.

We are planning to drive so I can stop and visit some friends in BC on the drive up, and they have said the roads will be fine in their neck of the woods. They live up in Smithers, BC. I have heard it can still be quite nasty up there though. I know every year is different, just looking to get a general idea. I grew up driving in snow in central NY, so driving in crappy conditions doesn't bother us very much. Thanks for the help and advice.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by CTobias View Post
    My wife and I will be headed to Alaska in mid to late April and are planning on driving up with her car in tow. What kind of weather should we expect up that way? Our final stop will be in the Anchorage area.

We are planning to drive so I can stop and visit some friends in BC on the drive up, and they have said the roads will be fine in their neck of the woods. They live up in Smithers, BC. I have heard it can still be quite nasty up there though. I know every year is different, just looking to get a general idea. I grew up driving in snow in central NY, so driving in crappy conditions doesn't bother us very much. Thanks for the help and advice.

Chris
    April could be 50* + and sunny, 20 below zero and locked in ice or 23* and a complete blizzard. Snow will be on the ground but road conditions could be anywhere from perfect to miserable.

Then again,you could make the drive in June.........

http://www.alaskadispatch.com/articl...ts-heavy-rains

We moved up in mid/late April and were fortunate that the weather wasn't bad. Be prepared for winter driving conditions, but more likely the roads will be clear of snow thow there could certainly be patches of black ice in the morning and in shady areas. Expect road construction, sections of gravel road and potholes. Bring extra fuel as some gas stations are only open during the summer season, and you'll be heading up before then. If you're towing her car wrap the front of it really well to protect it from gravel coming off of your town vehicle. The front will look like it's been sandblasted if you don't do that.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

I would strongly advise to wait a month and do it in the mid-May timeframe. I just did it this year with a Uhaul and it was pretty painless, the weather the whole trip was good, everything was open, and the bugs were manageable when we did stop. Of course, every year will be different, but May is a safer bet as far as freezing conditions go. Good luck in any case and have a fun trip.
    “The mountains are calling and I must go.” - John Muir

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt." - Abraham Lincoln

Just plan on a little winter driving in the mountains . The road will still be frozen (before breakup) and will be the smoothest. hotels will be less expensive. plenty of daylight.