Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Early June Grayling

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    442

    Default Early June Grayling

    Wow! This is excellent. We did not see one angler all evening except at a couple gravel pits. Looked like the fish we saw in the pits were teeny.

    No apparent hatch on the Chena. Nothing rising. Water was not too swift but fairly bank to bank. Some real hard rains last night. Some very few emerging mayflies were in the air just below the first bridge on the Chena. We had no bites, no rises. Nada! Great hatch of 'squidos last night!

    Held off on floating due to a pesky bout of caution....

    We are used to rainbow fishing on Parks highway Valley streams; this time of year what works for us there is white ESL, olive wooley's w/or w/o a bead brass head, flesh flies, regular small ESL's, black large black leaches, terrestrials later (hoppers - mice) etc. I haven't fished a dry fly since I left northern Idaho 30-years ago. Looking forward to it...

    Anyone having any luck on grayling this time of year? We are always learning...your suggestions appreciated. Thanks!

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Two Rivers, AK
    Posts
    745

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan Woodsman View Post
    No apparent hatch on the Chena. Nothing rising. Water was not too swift but fairly bank to bank. Some real hard rains last night. Some very few emerging mayflies were in the air just below the first bridge on the Chena. We had no bites, no rises. Nada! Great hatch of 'squidos last night!
    At this point there are fish scattered around the Chena, with the emphasis on "scattered." Yesterday I caught fish above 50 mile, but they were upstream from a fantastic hole and not in the fantastic hole. I think the key is to keep moving, and if you're not catching where you are, move - don't waste a lot of time in one spot unless you know for a fact there are fish there. When in doubt, move into a slough.

    Yesterday I thought I'd "survey" where things are at and started at the gravel bar just past 27 mile (from the road it looks like one big woodpile, but you can still get there and while the eddies have moved you can still catch a lot of fish on the downstream side of the riffle) and caught fish, then moved to Hodgins Slough and caught some very respectable fish, and so on up the road. Only place I couldn't find and catch fish was my old honey hole, which was pretty funny.

    I saw some graylings spawning near the first bridge on Wednesday, I think, and so it looks like not all of them have switched their attentions to food. Soon, I think.

    The one fly that's been absolutely can't-miss bomber for me this year is a really simple Scott Murdock pattern - soft-hackle beadhead with a red floss tag (wrapped, sort of like the tinsel tag on a leadwing coachman) and grey dubbed body. Very, very easy to tie and I've been totally surprised by how such a simple pattern is so productive.

  3. #3
    Member jdcollins86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    north pole
    Posts
    168

    Default

    Me and a buddy made our way up there today, we fish just up from angel creek. The water was high and fast and pretty dirty. I caught one fish the whole time we were up there... figure in a a few weeks the water should be low and clear...

  4. #4
    Member BlueMoose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Rifle River MI
    Posts
    1,835

    Default

    What we have not had as usual that I have noticed is our annual Black flying ants. I would imagen if the water clears up and the weather is warm for a couple of days the Chena will be super fun. Darn easy when those dandies are flying around. Nothing better than a foam size 10 ant popping Grayling in Mid June.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Two Rivers, AK
    Posts
    745

    Default

    I wasn't planning on fishing yesterday but the weather was spectacular so I headed up above 50 mile CHSR and the first two holes I tried were empty, and they'd been solid spots in the past. I moved further upstream and caught 8 fish in about an hour and a half (crappy video here):



    I also caught one in a slough near there and then went down to a slough near the first bridge where it took about 90 minutes to catch one fish, but it was a nice one. Finally fell for a brassie. In all of these places there were bulges but no noses, although at one point at the above spot I threw out an Adams just for the heck of it and caught one on that.

    There's definitely good fishing to be had, but it's taking more work than usual to find it.

  6. #6
    Member jdcollins86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    north pole
    Posts
    168

    Default

    awesome fish! looks like i was fishing just a little bit low...

  7. #7
    Member DannerAK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Whiskey River
    Posts
    1,161

    Default

    MI shore I used to live out there near Angel Creek. My fav spot we called "horseshoe pit". You know what I'm talking about. Glad someone still throws flys at them fish way up CHSR.

  8. #8
    Member akiceman25's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Two Rivers, AK
    Posts
    1,284

    Default

    Had the entire family out for the past couple days camping near a slough off the Chena. Im not a fly fisherman myself so I and the kids threw spinners at em.. I'd hafta say we killed em(C&R style) with several dozen fish caught and many large ones.

    Fish were rising constantly in the slow moving water. I also tried my luck in the main river to no avail.
    I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Two Rivers, AK
    Posts
    745

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DannerAK View Post
    MI shore I used to live out there near Angel Creek. My fav spot we called "horseshoe pit". You know what I'm talking about. Glad someone still throws flys at them fish way up CHSR.
    Oh, cool. I love, love, love fishing up there. Did you know Annette died this past winter? Her granddaughter's running the lodge now.

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    442

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mlshore View Post
    At this point there are fish scattered around the Chena, with the emphasis on "scattered." Yesterday I caught fish above 50 mile, but they were upstream from a fantastic hole and not in the fantastic hole. I think the key is to keep moving, and if you're not catching where you are, move - don't waste a lot of time in one spot unless you know for a fact there are fish there. When in doubt, move into a slough.

    Yesterday I thought I'd "survey" where things are at and started at the gravel bar just past 27 mile (from the road it looks like one big woodpile, but you can still get there and while the eddies have moved you can still catch a lot of fish on the downstream side of the riffle) and caught fish, then moved to Hodgins Slough and caught some very respectable fish, and so on up the road. Only place I couldn't find and catch fish was my old honey hole, which was pretty funny.

    I saw some graylings spawning near the first bridge on Wednesday, I think, and so it looks like not all of them have switched their attentions to food. Soon, I think.

    The one fly that's been absolutely can't-miss bomber for me this year is a really simple Scott Murdock pattern - soft-hackle beadhead with a red floss tag (wrapped, sort of like the tinsel tag on a leadwing coachman) and grey dubbed body. Very, very easy to tie and I've been totally surprised by how such a simple pattern is so productive.
    mishore,

    Thank you - thank you! for your response to our first. We missed it.. I appreciate your advice.

  11. #11
    Member jdcollins86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    north pole
    Posts
    168

    Default

    is any one going up there tomorrow??? im thinking about putting in at 44 and floating to 38 let me know if your interested, got 1 extra seat on the cat

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    442

    Default

    Can't do but a great offer! I would like a river obstruction report though please. Be fun to float it soon. Thanks!

  13. #13
    Member jdcollins86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    north pole
    Posts
    168

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan Woodsman View Post
    Can't do but a great offer! I would like a river obstruction report though please. Be fun to float it soon. Thanks!
    I ended up getting a hold of a buddy last night and he brought his 9 year old son, so we didnt get to float, but had a awesome time. we went up to mile 50 the fish seemed really skittish, I don't know if it had anything to do with the weather, the sun coming and going then rain... but my buddies son caught his first fish ever today so that was a plus about 13". and as we were leaving a huge dog came out if know where... it almost looked like a wolf except for the colors it had a white chest and the rest was a light gray with a hint of black. every thing about it looked like one. the way it ran, crossed the river, everything. if any one knows of anyone that owns a hybrid mix, let me know its going to bug me all night

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    442

    Default

    Very cool report! We were up near MP 44 yesterday. No telling what kind of canine you encountered. Sounds wild and mystical enough for me.

    I read on the rafting blog that there is a nasty log jam on the river near MP 45 CHSR. Probably good for all you didn't go.

    So glad to hear your friend's son caught a plump grayling. What a beautiful first fish!

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Two Rivers, AK
    Posts
    745

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jdcollins86 View Post
    I ended up getting a hold of a buddy last night and he brought his 9 year old son, so we didnt get to float, but had a awesome time. we went up to mile 50 the fish seemed really skittish, I don't know if it had anything to do with the weather, the sun coming and going then rain... but my buddies son caught his first fish ever today so that was a plus about 13". and as we were leaving a huge dog came out if know where... it almost looked like a wolf except for the colors it had a white chest and the rest was a light gray with a hint of black. every thing about it looked like one. the way it ran, crossed the river, everything. if any one knows of anyone that owns a hybrid mix, let me know its going to bug me all night
    There's a few mushers up there but not with huge dogs. I'd ask at the Angel Creek Lodge next time you're up. I saw what were definitely wolf tracks on the river up there during the winter, but I wouldn't expect one to come out and visit like that.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •