Thread: Results from the Copper River

Default Results from the Copper River

Got to the Copper on Wednesday 6th & started fishing at 7:15pm. Stopped at 11:45pm.
    Results from that one night = 71 Reds and 1 King.

On Thurs 7th, Fishing wasn't as hot & heavy. 60 Reds and 2 Kings.

Grand Total from 6th to 7th was 130+ Reds & 3 Kings.

How did you do?

What kind of permit do you have that allowed you to start dipping on the 6th instead of the 7th?

I went down on Thursday with kids and grandkids, the first time any of us had made the trip, spurred on by the predictions of a record run. We were surprised by the length of the hike to get to decent river access from the trail and discouraged by the people coming back to O'Brien Creek with few or no fish. We met one older gentleman who was pretty upset to have traveled 500 miles to get there, did all that walking and put in quite a few hours, and had one fish between him and his buddy. We walked out to the sand bar at Eskilada Creek and watched a couple of guys in a boat drifting the edge of the bar. We spent about an hour there and the boat guys pulled in one fish. We hiked back to O'Brien. The first trip is always an education, I don't think I would do the trail without an ATV. If we had went on down and caught fish, hauling out would have been a chore and I would worry about the quality by the time we got back. It's not a quick trip on foot and there are limits to what one can pack in and pack out. I saw a good many folks with bikes and trikes, easier that way as well. I met a fellow in Glennallen that had worked the eddies in a boat and done pretty well, but the general impression I got from folks on the trail was that on Thursday the fish were trickling in and the big part of the predicted run had yet to show up.

I thought per regulation your only allowed ONE KING per season?

Quote Originally Posted by killer instinct View Post
    Got to the Copper on Wednesday 6th & started fishing at 7:15pm. Stopped at 11:45pm.

How did you do?

Back in the State (MatSu Valley) and I ain't ever leaving!

Since Killer Instinct's avatar is a boat I think we can assume that he/she was fishing above the bridge and using a Subsistence permit. They opened on the 1st of June and the limits are much higher than the Personal Use permit that is allowed below the bridge.

Quote Originally Posted by RavenWoods View Post
    What kind of permit do you have that allowed you to start dipping on the 6th instead of the 7th?

Those fish knew the opener was coming and hauled tail-fin upstream. Amazing how fast the dipping can die off down there.

Was this all dredging straight across from the boat launch on the upstream side of the bridge, or did you go further upstream? have you ever tried further upstream? I think if the fishing slowed that much at the bridge, go upstream about 10 miles and you should be back into the decent numbers.

On my way back home now. We got there last night at 7:00pmish; ZERO FISH! Saw "ONE" caught from a boat and that's it. Nobody's catching right now, lameO Chitna! 6th time I've been there and never caught one dang fish!

Was dipping this morning and essentially NOBODY was catching fish - it's dead.

Quote Originally Posted by BakInAlaska View Post
    Since Killer Instinct's avatar is a boat I think we can assume that he/she was fishing above the bridge and using a Subsistence permit. They opened on the 1st of June and the limits are much higher than the Personal Use permit that is allowed below the bridge.
    You are correct . We have the subsistence permit above the bridge (which you can see in the background of my avatar).

Tammy

Quote Originally Posted by alaskanpogi View Post
    I thought per regulation your only allowed ONE KING per season?
    We have the subsistence permit - allows you to keep up to 5 Kings per Household.

2012 Copper River Kings (27lb (biggest one) caught on the 6th, the other two (25lb & 17lb) caught on the 7th)....

Quote Originally Posted by Jerod View Post
    Those fish knew the opener was coming and hauled tail-fin upstream. Amazing how fast the dipping can die off down there.

Was this all dredging straight across from the boat launch on the upstream side of the bridge, or did you go further upstream? have you ever tried further upstream? I think if the fishing slowed that much at the bridge, go upstream about 10 miles and you should be back into the decent numbers.
    We were up pass the bridge. We attempt to go on up past the bend past the wheels, but winds were atrocious and made drifting a bear on Thursday.

Your going this coming week, right? I'll be there Thursday 14th again for another session. Are you upstream or downstream? If your in the area, stop by and say Hi.....

I was out there from 8pm thursday and fished till 4pm friday, 4 people in the group and we got a total of 3 fish. I watched others, there are a lot of 30 foot or longer poles there. Most of the Phillipino's under the bridge would wade out in the water up to their neck and bob up and down as they go downstream with the net underwater. INSANE! But they would pull one fish out about ever couple hours. I blame ADN and ADFG for posting how good the weekend was going to be. We talked to the charter guys at obrien creek and they said guys are coming back with 5 fish on average. I guess the water came up about a foot so maybe that will help.

You were above the bridge I assume since you started on Wednesday night? I stopped by and watched the fish wheels above the bridge and they were doing very well. One guy told me this was his best day since the 1st, when fish wheels opened.

I went out on Hem's Charter on Thursday afternoon and placed on a gravel bar about a quarter mile below O'Brien Creek on the east side. By then fishing had really slowed and in the 14 hours fishing overnight we picked up only 72 reds and 4 kings. I twas hard work with copper river style nets sweeping the holes for hours on end. The previous group started at midnight on the opener and limited out with 150 fish.

When we got back to O'Brien Creek, it had started to rain and there was a lot more people camped out waiting to be taken out but not really waiting for the "big run" to hit.

How did you do?

Sorry, didn't read all the posts. Of course you had a subsistence permit

Default Even Though The Fish Gods Are Cruel...

Sometimes I have to remind myself why we live in Alaska. Then there are times like this last week of the first opener of dip netting and while we didn't catch the full amount the permit said we could legally take home, the time we spent on the gravel bar, roasting a "sample" from the river over a warm fire, great weather, good friends, and just enough fish to keep us sweeping all night long, reminds me of why we live in Alaska.

You can't do this in any of the lower 48 states, even a mediocre day (and night) of fishing beats living anywhere else.

DSCF0602.jpg

Ya gotta love living here!

Quote Originally Posted by BakInAlaska View Post
    Sometimes I have to remind myself why we live in Alaska. Then there are times like this last week of the first opener of dip netting and while we didn't catch the full amount the permit said we could legally take home, the time we spent on the gravel bar, roasting a "sample" from the river over a warm fire, great weather, good friends, and just enough fish to keep us sweeping all night long, reminds me of why we live in Alaska.

You can't do this in any of the lower 48 states, even a mediocre day (and night) of fishing beats living anywhere else.

DSCF0602.jpg

Ya gotta love living here!
    You've got that right! I said a little prayer before we set out in the boat asking God to keep us safe (and yes, asking for at least one King - figured it couldn't hurt). He granted us our request & gave us a whole lot more, which I'm very thankful for.

I love your attitude - I wouldn't live anywhere else. Your right - where else could you see & do this? We came away from this trip with stories to share (i.e. the King I initially caught couldn't fit in my net & fell out of my net and scooped up by my friend next to me in the nick of time). Have you ever seen someone get so excited about having a fish on board that they started to beat it with scissors over the head in order to subdue it as it was flopping all over the bottom of the boat? We laughed & laughed at her. We were able to share this experience with two "virgin" dipnetters. They had a blast.

It's the memories you take with you that stay with you. I wouldn't trade it for the world. Thanks God (& Alaska)!

We were up pass the bridge. We attempt to go on up past the bend past the wheels, but winds were atrocious and made drifting a bear on Thursday.

Your going this coming week, right? I'll be there Thursday 14th again for another session. Are you upstream or downstream? If your in the area, stop by and say Hi.....
    We'll be downstream. We contemplated upstream this year, but with the limits we can get, it works out to just enough fish. I wouldn't mind the extra kings, but we go with what we know. I would like to try upstream one of these years though. I proxy fish too, so I'll be going after my 80 this week. I'll be in a camo predator with no canopy and a blue ford raptor. We should be camping close to the river on the boat launch side. Is your boat black and silver? It's a little hard to tell from your avatar picture. Hope to see you there!

We'll be downstream. We contemplated upstream this year, but with the limits we can get, it works out to just enough fish. I wouldn't mind the extra kings, but we go with what we know. I would like to try upstream one of these years though. I proxy fish too, so I'll be going after my 80 this week. I'll be in a camo predator with no canopy and a blue ford raptor. We should be camping close to the river on the boat launch side. Is your boat black and silver? It's a little hard to tell from your avatar picture. Hope to see you there!
    Did you have 3 other guys with you last weekend? I belive I saw you; not sure how many "camo" predator boats around.

Quote Originally Posted by AKDSLDOG View Post
    Did you have 3 other guys with you last weekend? I belive I saw you; not sure how many "camo" predator boats around.
    I have the same Wooldridge boat that tjm has - Black & White Alaskan XL. We also saw two camo predator boats out this past Thursday & Friday, but didn't think that was you as you had previously said you were going this coming week. Yep, we will be at the river's edge at the boat launch by the bridge. We have a Black Dodge Ram with a Northern Lite camper set up on it. We will be there on Wednesday through Saturday, so stop by.

Here's our boat: