Thread: Anyone ever run the Tazlina?

Default Anyone ever run the Tazlina?

Does anyone have any information on running a jet boat up the Taz? A search did not produce any threads so I thought I would ask.

Thanks,

You know, I lived in Copper Center for years and ran the Klutina but I never did see anyone on the Tazlina in a jet boat. I always thought about giving it a try. If you ever want to give it a shot let me know if you would like an accompanying jet boat for the trip. I would love to give her a try if I had the time. ~907

Ran it in '06. Uneventful. Good waves and stuff but nothing like the Klutina. This was later in July at normal water levels. If it's run earlier then there are rocks to watch for and the shelf before the lake might be interesting. There are rocks in the calmer water as the river widens into the lake. Kinda freaky when we saw them just below the surface. The launch at the bridge is crappy. You would think that alyeska would improve it since that is their access for spill response. Had to get a pull to get the airboat out of it one year.

Quote Originally Posted by mod elan View Post
    The launch at the bridge is crappy. You would think that alyeska would improve it since that is their access for spill response.
    WHAT launch at the bridge? The Alyeska response plan is a freakin joke. But that's another subject...
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

You could always put in at the upper Klutina bridge and hit the Copper, then buzz up to the Tazlina. It's exactly 12 river miles from the upper Klutina Bridge to the Tazlina river bridge. Thats not too bad.

I saw a thunderjet navigate up to Tazlina Lake last year. He didnt seem to be having any problems. Say him while on a float hunt. There are some serious rocks and swift current in that river but it is definitly doable. The hunting was marginal at best but the float was good.

Alyeska has an improved boat launch closer to the mouth...

Quote Originally Posted by karlukc View Post
    Alyeska has an improved boat launch closer to the mouth...
    Where?
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by 907pride View Post
    You know, I lived in Copper Center for years and ran the Klutina but I never did see anyone on the Tazlina in a jet boat. I always thought about giving it a try. If you ever want to give it a shot let me know if you would like an accompanying jet boat for the trip. I would love to give her a try if I had the time. ~907
    Thanks for the offer, if I go I will give you a heads up.