Thread: Charter traffic this year

Default Charter traffic this year

How are the bookings for the most part this year? Anyone hear or know one of the charter entities well enough to ascertain current fishing business? I'm trying to get up to AK for a couple of days in the next few weeks and was wondering how's the traffic been on the fishing circuits?

Doesn't hurt to ask those who are in the loop. That's how discounts are found if at all. A couple of years ago I got on a charter right at the dock at a good price. Just like the airlines. They throw out cheap tickets at the last minute if there are empty seats. Never hurts to ask.

Quote Originally Posted by ARTSBEST View Post
    How are the bookings for the most part this year? Anyone hear or know one of the charter entities well enough to ascertain current fishing business? I'm trying to get up to AK for a couple of days in the next few weeks and was wondering how's the traffic been on the fishing circuits?

Doesn't hurt to ask those who are in the loop. That's how discounts are found if at all. A couple of years ago I got on a charter right at the dock at a good price. Just like the airlines. They throw out cheap tickets at the last minute if there are empty seats. Never hurts to ask.
    I can't speak for all charter captains, but speaking for myself, I've been relatively busy for the last few weeks, have only a few days available here and there for the rest of June, and July is pretty much booked solid with just a few open days. During the last two weeks of July I have charters 11 out of 14 days and I'm not sure if I'd book those few in between days. A guy's gotta take a break once in a while.

August is not quite as busy, but I get calls/emails every other day or so from people interested in silver/halibut combos, so I have a feeling it will start to fill up in the next couple of weeks.

I can't answer to the "throwing out of cheap tickets at the last minute" thing because I will take only the number of people that book me for a particular day without filling up a "six pack" quota. I do get quite a few people that call me at the last minute to see if I'm open for the next day, or one of the following days, and I'm happy to take someone out if I'm open, but the vast majority of my bookings are done well ahead of time.

And once again I can't speak for all charter captains, but I'd never book someone else at the last minute at a discounted price with a bunch of other people that paid full price. I'm not passing judgement on those that do, but I sure wouldn't do it.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

ttp://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/forumdisplay.php/93-Discounted-Alaska-Outdoor-Services

If you want to fly stand by, you can get a deal....Check it out

Seen a bunch on Craigslist
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!