Thread: Canoe Matanauska?

Default Canoe Matanauska?

First post here so I appreciate the advice. I was wondering how feasible it would be to canoe the Matanuska from the Old Glenn Highway and down into some of the sloughs. It would be in early July and my eyes would be peeled for black bears and salmon. I would continue floating downstream to get picked up at the Glenn Highway. My canoe is an Old Town Discovery 169. I'm a relatively seasoned canoeist and I would be doing it with another friend. Is this a feasible/safe trip?

Probably not a good idea from the matanuska bridge to the Knik/new Glenn bridge. Its easy from the Old Glenn/Knik River bridge. The matanuska gets braided badly and there are some good little rapids. It's do-able if you are good at canoeing. One good float is putting in at mud lake and floating down jim creek until entering the Knik river, then you can go to either bridge on the Knik depending on your available time. That is a good days float and probably much more enjoyable. Have fun

Oh, and welcome to the forum.

Hey thanks for the advice. I did really well on the reds/silvers last year in the hay flats area. However this year they shut down the area to motorized vehicle access so I was trying to figure out a way to float back there again. I'll start looking over the maps for routes again!

Here is a link to a great Alaska interactive mapping site. Its called Gina. That would be pronounced with a soft "I". hahaha, it's not that kind of site. Its actually just like google earth but has better imagery in some of our areas. It has been great for helping me plan some hunting and fishing trips. Hope it helps.
    http://browse.alaskamapped.org/#browse

Thanks for the link. Where do you put in at for Jims creek? I was looking at putting in at McRoberts creek and floating my way down until it hooks into Jims creek and ultimately the Knik.

Quote Originally Posted by Weaponsloader View Post
    Thanks for the link. Where do you put in at for Jims creek? I was looking at putting in at McRoberts creek and floating my way down until it hooks into Jims creek and ultimately the Knik.
    McRoberts creek is too shallow and has way too many downed trees. Just put in at mud lake. Drive back Maud rd and put in at the first lake or go to the second lake and portage into jim creek on the far side of the lake. Its only 20 yards or so for the portage. Just look at the map really well so you know which channels to take or some of them just put you into a swamp. Eventually you will come out at the sand dunes at jim creek and then get into the Knik.

ok, that saves me a headache. Thanks for the heads up