Thread: Family outing...

Default Family outing...

I plan to take my family camping next weekend and would love to dip net or fish! Anyone have any suggestions? I'd prefer salmon fishing but I'd be fine with some decent sized rainbows, grayling, char, or varden. Definitely need a place that's family friendly though. Thanks!
    -Matt

If you have the whole weekend, how about a trip across the denali HWY ?
    start at Paxon and head west. stop at mile about 20 and fish the Tangle river. kids will love catching Grayling using a bobber and a fly. most creeks as you travel the 140 miles to Cantwell will have fish. bring the binoculars and show the family the big game animals along the way. don't forget the mosquito dope. Have fun and many thanks for your service.

Yeah I did thinking about that. I've driven the Denali highway a few times and I actually love the drive but my wife is said no to heading north. We've lived here 2 years and have yet to camp on the KP. Also another sad fact is I have yet to see a brown bear. Thanks though!

you can go down to crooked creek and camp at the camp ground. IDK the age of your kids but we are taking our kids down in July ages
    4-5. They are having a good king run that should keep improving over the next week or so. If you want to see a brown come by my place tonight we have had a good sized male walking around the hillside about 10 feet from the master window. Freaky and amazing.

That sounds Pretty cool! I'll check up on crooked creek! We were also looking at Seward, any thoughts? My kids are 3 and 6. Thanks for the info!

They may be to young to fish for kings. We are going to head down for reds and silvers. Thats up to you. But Seward is nice and they have some fishing from shore. I would check into Homer. The shore fishing off the end of the spit is good and you are Alamos guarantied to put something on the hook. IDK about camping down that way but you can look into a cabin or something. I know of a few over in halibut cove. But they are more then likely full by now.

Yeah the cabins in Halibut Cove are pretty much full, but you could always camp along the spit in any number of campgrounds. The spot by Land's End would be perfect. They would catch something there for sure.......

As far as fishing in these spots, what would I be fishin for and what bait?

Sorry Kingman, should have been more specific about the end of spit. After I posted that, I reread the OP and I didn't address it because the main thing you will catch off the end of the spit is flounder, cod, and pollack. It might be the easiest with the little kids though and they probably don't care what kind of fish they are. People just use a heavy sinker (to cast out far) and a chunk of herring, salmon, you name it. They will bite on just about anything.

Swm, I'd actually love to catch any of those! I have yet to fish saltwater since I've been here. Sad but true, thanks for the info I think my wife might go for that!

Correction haha cwm...