Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: regs

Default regs

came across this in the hunting regs and just curious who else was putting in for this hunt....

Did you build a time machine?

Quote Originally Posted by mod elan View Post
    I wish..lol My wifes grandpa gave me this and its a pretty interesting look into the past.. I am amazed how small the book is..

Oh wow! Hang on to that. It should be a collectors item IMO.

That's incredible. I'd love to read that whole book and see what hunting was like during the pipeline era.
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

mod elan I think so too, the book is in amazing shape for being that old...heck my regs from last year are in worse condition..lol

highest view it is a very interesting read for sure I will try to get some more pics..

here are a few interesting pages concerning some hot topics that poped up on the forum lately...wolves and Kenai moose seasons..

few more pics

i'm pretty sure people up here are still using those regs....

Quote Originally Posted by mod elan View Post
    When you find one let me know!

Bear thanks for sharing the pics and you better keep a close eye on those regs or they might walk off or get thrown away one day by accident.

Would be cool to still have bounties.

Super cool!! Would be awesome to take the time to scan that into .pdf.

Quote Originally Posted by broncoformudv View Post
    Bear thanks for sharing the pics and you better keep a close eye on those regs or they might walk off or get thrown away one day by accident.
    Yeah I just put them in my safe,they are just so cool kind of a neat look into the past.... heck these are even before most of the refuges if I am not mistaken..

few mor pics

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Super cool!! Would be awesome to take the time to scan that into .pdf.
    I wish I could find the time LuJon with summer here..lol I thought I would try to share a few pics but if I find the time I will scan the book and post it...
    Dave

Man look at those seasons for moose. Why weren't they trying to cram everyone into the woods at the same time like they do now?

Thanks for posting!
    "We're all here cuz we're not all there"

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Would be cool to still have bounties.
    Would be cool to still be blessed with such a seemingly limitless bounty of wildlife that we could still presume to act so ignorantly.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    Would be cool to still be blessed with such a seemingly limitless bounty of wildlife that we could still presume to act so ignorantly.
    One of the reasons we don't have the limitless bounty of game is because they don't have bounties any longer. I was raised on a farm in Ohio. We had a lot of pheasants and a $2 bounty on fox. In the early 70's they stopped the bounty on fox....we were lucky to see or hear one pheasant in a year. Same goes for rabbits, etc.

Article VIII of our State Constitution calls for management of game for maximum use...that includes wolves. We're part of the food chain.
    "We're all here cuz we're not all there"

I know a couple of years ago in Texas there was a bounty on coyotes. There may be still but don't know, it might have changed to pigs now with all he damage their doing. I think it's because of ignorance in the past with all the liberal seasons is the reason we have so many regs now.

Interesting read

Quote Originally Posted by AK DUX View Post
    One of the reasons we don't have the limitless bounty of game is because they don't have bounties any longer. I was raised on a farm in Ohio. We had a lot of pheasants and a $2 bounty on fox. In the early 70's they stopped the bounty on fox....we were lucky to see or hear one pheasant in a year. Same goes for rabbits, etc.

Article VIII of our State Constitution calls for management of game for maximum use...that includes wolves. We're part of the food chain.
    You'll excuse me if I think your view of the world is a bit narrow. Understandable, given that you state your formative upbringing was that of a farmer. The semi-steralized ecology of Ohio is hardly an appropriate model to apply to wildlife management in Alaska.

Applying a simplistic farming ideology to the understanding of broad scope ecological sciences results in the failed management practices some people persist in deploying. The "Monsanto mentality" is proving to be an ecological disaster in the making (as if it was unpredictable, or ever beyond doubt), yet some persist in attempting to apply this mentality to wildlife management....

Article 8 section 1 of our Constitution does say "maximum use", it also says "consistent with the public interest". That means all of the public, and not all of the public views the world through a rifle scope, nor do they believe that attempting to turn Alaska into a game ranch strictly for the benefit of the hunting community is in their best interest.

Article 8 section 2 states "conservation of all natural resources belonging to the State, including land and waters, for the maximum benefit of its people". Again, the term "people" refers to all the people, not just some of the people, and not all of the people necessarily define "maximum benefit" as being able to put a moose in their freezer at the drop of a hat.

Article 8 section 3: "Wherever occurring in their natural state, fish, wildlife, and waters are reserved to the people for common use". "Wherever occurring in their natural state".... It could be argued that attempting to turn Alaska into a defacto game farm would violate the definition of "occurring in their natural state". This is a slippery slope which could lead to the resources no longer being "reserved to the people for common use." See what's happening in many L-48 states where now only the rich folk have access to the resources.

Article 8 section 4: "Fish, forests, wildlife, grasslands, and all other replenishable resources belonging to the State shall be utilized, developed, and maintained on the sustained yield principle, subject to preferences among beneficial uses". "the sustained yield principle"... Wildlife management practices of the past have proven unsustainable. Many of the animals that had very liberal quotas and seasons are now on or headed for the endangered species list. The ignorant practices of the past, such as bounties on predators and raptors, is not the answer.

The complexity of the worlds ecological system, of which we are a part and upon which we depend, is infinitely broader than the view offered the through the narrow lense of a rifle scope. Time to pull our head out and see the world for what it is; much more than just an ungulate farm or fish factory.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

If the population was the same as back then we might indeed still have bounties as well as plenty of other game but alas its a fond memory of what was.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast