Thread: .375 H&H barrel length

Default .375 H&H barrel length

I have a Brno ZKK 602 .375 that I bought in 1990 and have never used. I just don't like that bush snagging, heavy 25 " barrel. Would you sell it and buy what you want or just shorten the barrel? Reason I ask is the gun seems to have some collector value and I don't what to be the guy I have cursed at in the past who back in the 40's thought drilling a 1873 Winchester for 6 different kinds of scope mount was a good idea.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

A 375 H&H isn't overbore, so shortening the barrel is OK, as far as velocity is concerned. You probably won't lose much. I've seen'em at 20 inches, but 22 is plenty short enough.

BUTTT, were it me, there's NO WAY, I'd cut the barrel down. Especially, if it has iron sights, and any collector value, or just some desirability because of it's age, and manufacture.

I've got a cupla hunting rifles that have 26" barrels, and I haven't noticed a problem snagging brush with either of them. I think it's a matter of perception.

A heavier longer barrel is sometimes part of the design. It dampens recoil, and the gun holds steadier. I suspect that BRNO might have known what they were doin, when they made that gun.

No expertise here, JMHO.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    A 375 H&H isn't overbore, so shortening the barrel is OK, as far as velocity is concerned. You probably won't lose much. I've seen'em at 20 inches, but 22 is plenty short enough.

BUTTT, were it me, there's NO WAY, I'd cut the barrel down. Especially, if it has iron sights, and any collector value, or just some desirability because of it's age, and manufacture.

I've got a cupla hunting rifles that have 26" barrels, and I haven't noticed a problem snagging brush with either of them. I think it's a matter of perception.

A heavier longer barrel is sometimes part of the design. It dampens recoil, and the gun holds steadier. I suspect that BRNO might have known what they were doin, when they made that gun.

No expertise here, JMHO.

Smitty of the North
    I suspect the long heavy barral was more intended for the African plains then the swamps I hunt. But I can live with it I guess. Oh yes it has open sights. A folding 3 leaf rear and[I really get a kick out of this] a reversible front for day/moon use. And a set trigger that I find odd on a .375.

Moon front sight and set trigger shouts leopard rifle to me. Of course if it were my gun it would be made to suit me for a guns true value is in the field not the safe.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

I've got to spread the love before I can rep Amigo Will again but he's right.... true value is in the shooting, not in the safe. Heck, my heirs can cuss me for the things I done to stuff they intend to sell....I probably won't care much.

As a thought, you could easily pick up a .375 Ruger AK for pretty darn reasonable coin if you don't want to cut it down. Sounds like a very nice piece and I'd probably be reluctant to chop it- particularly if those leaf sights are already regulated. That PITA isn't worth the price of used Ruger alone.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    Moon front sight and set trigger shouts leopard rifle to me. Of course if it were my gun it would be made to suit me for a guns true value is in the field not the safe.
    Wow good point. I forgot leopards were shot at night over bait[live goats!] from a tree. I hate to let it sit because it is one of the few true Magnum Mauser's out there. Well I guess I can put the decision off for another 30 years.

Put it on Gunbroker and buy a new gun...don't cut it....let someone else enjoy the gun and you can get what you want with the proceeds. I just saw a pre-64 model 70 featherweight in .243 that someone hacked up...what a shame!!
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.