Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 60 pounder caught on the Deshka!

Default 60 pounder caught on the Deshka!

60 pounder caught on the deshka this morning. Don't know the whole story and not my place to say keep it or not. Either way, impressive fish!

Pic Here:

www.facebook.com/thealaskalife

"Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

I was right there (am in the boat in the back ground). I was super proud of my 20lb king I caught a half an hour before this one made an appearance. It was impressive to see!

Quote Originally Posted by snowcrab24 View Post
    I was right there (am in the boat in the back ground). I was super proud of my 20lb king I caught a half an hour before this one made an appearance. It was impressive to see!
    I talked to someone who was down there and they said once the thing jumped outta the water, everyone gasped and it was dead silent while he fought it! HAHA!!

There was quite a bit of hollering going on after the catch as well.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

I sincerely hope that fish was released although it probably wasn't since the individual has it out of the water. With the kings runs in such bad shape it would be a shame to see a fish with those genetics bonked and not allowed to reproduced. Fish that size used to be common on the parks. That fish should have been released.
    Alaska: We're all here cuz we're not all "there"

Wow, what a hog!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor_1 View Post
    I sincerely hope that fish was released although it probably wasn't since the individual has it out of the water. With the kings runs in such bad shape it would be a shame to see a fish with those genetics bonked and not allowed to reproduced. Fish that size used to be common on the parks. That fish should have been released.
    Boy this stuff gets old. Some fisherman are the most self-righteous people I know of. It was legal to keep it, it will not destroy the run, and it's none of your business.

Awesome fish. I would do a skin mount.

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor_1 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PAcWest View Post
    Boy this stuff gets old. Some fisherman are the most self-righteous people I know of. It was legal to keep it, it will not destroy the run, and it's none of your business.

I can understand where raptor is coming from. Especially since the fish seems to be blushed out already its really past its prime for eating material. I know its a different story when its your fish but I have been telling myself all year that if I get one that big its going back to where it came after a few good (submerged) pictures. A perfect fish for this guy is chrome and in the 20-35lb range. Thats dinner material.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

I like them even smaller. I like the 20 pounders or less.

But that is an awesome fish!!! Congrats on the great catch!
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Wonder if that is one that was heading on up farther North and just stopped in to rest and clean it's gills?
    Maybe a Talkeetna or clear creek fish.

Slimm, you have a good point. I have fished the Deshka for over 20 years and have not seen a hog that big, myself. I have seen hogs that big at the mouth of the Willow though. Something to ponder!!! Not to Hijack but are you coming up fishing this year? If so, shoot me a PM, would like to hook up w/ya.
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

Quote Originally Posted by slimm View Post
    Wonder if that is one that was heading on up farther North and just stopped in to rest and clean it's gills?
    Maybe a Talkeetna or clear creek fish.
    Or Willow, or Sheep, or Montana....

Certainly not your typical cookie cutter Deshka dink.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

I caught one like that out of willow about 20 years ago and while not common to find a 60+ the 45lb-ers were what everyone was after unless they had to settle for a 25lb dinker... Crazy to see what the 20 years of selective harvest in the river have done to the genetics!

Quote Originally Posted by thewhop2000 View Post
    Slimm, you have a good point. I have fished the Deshka for over 20 years and have not seen a hog that big, myself. I have seen hogs that big at the mouth of the Willow though. Something to ponder!!! Not to Hijack but are you coming up fishing this year? If so, shoot me a PM, would like to hook up w/ya.
    Yep fly out on the 13th.. pm sent.

I've caught a few 50# plus at the mouth of the Deshka, lost a few that I swear were bigger.
    One time I think in 07 we took 8 days and floated from Neil lake to the mouth, got to the mouth and there were only a couple of boats and raining like crazy, we were just hanging out in the raft flinging spinners, I hooked into one that just started peeling line like crazy, I thought I hooked a dam seal, just before he spooled me it stopped and headed back at me i started reeling fast as I could but couldn't catch up to it, I thought I lost it so I stopped reeling, I was shakin' like a leaf, and my buddy and I busted out laughing, bout that time zing that fish tried to rip that pole out'a my hand and went on another crazy run, we pulled anchor and let that fish pull us around for awhile, it made one jump and was just as red as the one in the pic above, I think just as big too, not long after that it headed for a big tree limb that was half submereged, it hit that and game over..
    That was a great evening, only a couple of boats on the water and a pretty good slug of fish moving through, We were sure ready for some hook ups to cuz we only caught 3 or 4 fish each in 8 days on the float down.

Super nice fish. Had to be a blast to reel that hog in. I don't want to weigh in on if he should of let it go or not since I wasn't the one holding the pole when it was caught and that can change one's feelings pretty quick. Congrates to a nice catch though!

Nobody asked the BIG question ? DID HE HAVE A DERBY TICKET ?
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

Quote Originally Posted by c6 batmobile View Post
    I can understand where raptor is coming from. Especially since the fish seems to be blushed out already its really past its prime for eating material. I know its a different story when its your fish but I have been telling myself all year that if I get one that big its going back to where it came after a few good (submerged) pictures. A perfect fish for this guy is chrome and in the 20-35lb range. Thats dinner material.
    In my experience, the outside color of the fish doesn't directly relate to the color or firmness of the meat. I have seen very red kings and the meat was still very dark and extremely firm. I think that allot of people are just used to seeing fish in the ocean when they are extremely bright. If you look at the Copper River fish that the people are dipnetting in Chitna you will often see very dark color reds and also Kings in the fishwheels but people still claim that they taste better than any Kenai Peninsula fish, and those fish are a hundred miles up the river. I'll bet that 60 pounder had allot of great meat. Did anyone see the filets?

that fish stopped for a rest n the wrong place. Nice hogg

Quote Originally Posted by PAcWest View Post

It may get old, but it is the truth.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast