Thread: 2012 Ruger Rimfire's!

Default 2012 Ruger Rimfire's!

Anyone else see that Ruger turned it up a notch on the rimfire competition? They have been the leader in the .22 auto handgun and carbine market since before my time, and lord knows the aftermarket has supported the heck out of them in more recent years. I don't think that there is a part that can't be swapped out and you can build just about anything you can think up with just a bare receiver from Ruger itself.

This year Ruger released the take down version of their venerable 10/22 which pretty much trumps my cute little marlin papoose in every way, especially since I lost the spanner wrench in a move about 8 years ago and haven't been able to find a new one...

I finally saw one of these take down stainless 10/22's at Arctic Ammo last week and if I thought I could have found a way to sneak it past the wife it would have been on it's way home.

Best part.... no spanner wrench to lose!!

The other one that may have me drooling even a bit more is the new 22/45 lite. It gives the appearance to be essentially a factory modified .22 pistol. I have been looking at the Tactical Solutions upper for my Mark II for some time but at ~$300 for the upgrade the entire new pistol will only run about another $100.... Biggest downfall of this thing is I would have to go in and chat with Ken at WWG to start working on a stamp to put a can on it. The ptarmigan at sheep camp and the grouse at moose camp would never be safe again!!

I've already got a 22/45 on my short list...how cool...

GNG had the break down 10/22 for $25 less than WWG the last time I checked (about a month ago).
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

That 22/45 lite is going to be my next purchase for plinkin around the cabin and ptarmigan and grouse on my hunts. That is just the gun I have been waiting for!
    US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    GNG had the break down 10/22 for $25 less than WWG the last time I checked (about a month ago).
    On the tag or out the door

Quote Originally Posted by Wildalaska View Post
    Tells me a lot right there.

I'm going to have to get me one of those 22/45 pistols. Pretty sweet!

Thanks alot, Lu! In addition to all the AR stuff I just can't live without....................now I have to have a 45/22 lite with a can! Range work without ear protection. Fun stuff.

That's you in the videos, right??
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post

That's you in the videos, right??
    LOL, I wish! I have beard envy

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

I agree that Ruger is gittin competitive.

They've come out with some good stuff, as of late.

I'm probably he only one in the State that doesn't have a 10-22.

I like the 77/44 and the 77/357 BA rifles. They have 18.5 inch barrels, but that's plenty for those cartridges.

The twists are 1-20 for the 44 Mag. and 1-16 for the 357, so they should handle the LONG bullets. PROVIDING OF COURSE, that they will FIT in the Rotary Magazine.

However, I read an article by Brian Pearce in Rifle Magazine, and he said the 44 he got wasn't accurate, 3 to 6 inch groups at 75 yards, til he broke in the barrel, with Montana Xtreme Bore Conditioner. Then he did the same with the 357.

That gives me pause, but the idea of the Rifles is a great one, IMO.

I'm thinking that the New Ruger American BA Rifle will be hot too.

I don't care for the "Scout Rifle" or the MkIIs with the ultra short barrels, but Ruger seems to have something for everyone.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    No 10-22 here either. My old Mossberg 341 will out shoot a 10-22 every time out beaver hunting. Plus my grandpa gave it to me so it has the cool factor too.

That 22/45 Lite looks sweet! The specs put it just shy of 12 ounces less than the S&W 25A.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Anyone else see that Ruger turned it up a notch on the rimfire competition? They have been the leader in the .22 auto handgun and carbine market since before my time, and lord knows the aftermarket has supported the heck out of them in more recent years. I don't think that there is a part that can't be swapped out and you can build just about anything you can think up with just a bare receiver from Ruger itself.

This year Ruger released the take down version of their venerable 10/22 which pretty much trumps my cute little marlin papoose in every way, especially since I lost the spanner wrench in a move about 8 years ago and haven't been able to find a new one...

I finally saw one of these take down stainless 10/22's at Arctic Ammo last week and if I thought I could have found a way to sneak it past the wife it would have been on it's way home.

Best part.... no spanner wrench to lose!!
    Looked at one of these the first time a couple of days ago,if the barrel had been threaded for a suppressor,it would have gone home with me !!!

Just a thought.... 22/45's are fine guns but take a look at the Browning Buckmark as well. I have several that I use for suppressor demo guns and they are great.

Also, the Beretta Neos is a nice gun..shoots good and is easy to clean and works well with a suppressor. Here's one I modded a bit.

They are light and easy to carry and you can put a scope/red dot on the rail and still use the iron sight. That one has popped more than it's share of tree rats.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    I agree that Ruger is gittin competitive.

They've come out with some good stuff, as of late.

I like the 77/44 and the 77/357 BA rifles. They have 18.5 inch barrels, but that's plenty for those cartridges.

The twists are 1-20 for the 44 Mag. and 1-16 for the 357, so they should handle the LONG bullets. PROVIDING OF COURSE, that they will FIT in the Rotary Magazine.

However, I read an article by Brian Pearce in Rifle Magazine, and he said the 44 he got wasn't accurate, 3 to 6 inch groups at 75 yards, til he broke in the barrel, with Montana Xtreme Bore Conditioner. Then he did the same with the 357.

That gives me pause, but the idea of the Rifles is a great one, IMO.

I'm thinking that the New Ruger American BA Rifle will be hot too.

I don't care for the "Scout Rifle" or the MkIIs with the ultra short barrels, but Ruger seems to have something for everyone.

Smitty of the North
    No 10-22 here either. My cheap as they come ($89) Mossberg Plinkster will outshoot em all day long and I don't (can't) spend any money on 'tactical doodads' for it.

The 77/44 is a nice gun, we have one as a range training gun (only centerfire bolt we can use indoors) and it is a great little gun.

just the other day I was in Cabela's on a "quiet" day and asked to fondle a Ruger American .... I "thought" I would like it ... didn't care for the feel at all, not one bit - sharp edges all the way up the forend and just an unnatural "feel" in general - they might shoot really well, can't say on that, the metal work looked good enough but, for me anyways, a gun has to "feel right" and it just din't

Too bad you and everyone else was too busy shooting that "reality" show and not in the shop. At least I got to see Jim for the first time in years. No mention of a discount when I looked at the rifle.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    Too bad you and everyone else was too busy shooting that "reality" show and not in the shop. At least I got to see Jim for the first time in years. No mention of a discount when I looked at the rifle.

Next time you call first then, huh?

Im around most of the time...except when on camera.

We are "darK' for the first 2 weeks in July

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by back country View Post
    just the other day I was in Cabela's on a "quiet" day and asked to fondle a Ruger American .... I "thought" I would like it ... didn't care for the feel at all, not one bit - sharp edges all the way up the forend and just an unnatural "feel" in general - they might shoot really well, can't say on that, the metal work looked good enough but, for me anyways, a gun has to "feel right" and it just din't
    Probably the stock, huhn? It looks like a piece of hard black plastic.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.