Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Peep sight on lever guns.

Default Peep sight on lever guns.

Or do you prefer open sights on a lever action?
    I 'll be buying a winchester 71 and would like to know your thoughts on the bolt peep.
    Thanks,GB

Love aperture (peep) sights wherever they're found....on a 71? that's just like ice cream on pie.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Williams makes a good peep sight for the Winchester lever guns. Had one for my Model 94, as did my grandfather on his 94. (My uncle is still shooting that one.)

Quote Originally Posted by borealbushman View Post
    Or do you prefer open sights on a lever action?
    I 'll be buying a winchester 71 and would like to know your thoughts on the bolt peep.
    Thanks,GB
    An aperture sight is a significantly better sighting instrument than the factory open sights and is a very good match to most traditional lever action rifles.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

That williams peep and fire sight front blade sure looks like a trick setup for my Model 94 that the oldest boy just started shooting! Definitely better than the offset scope setup I tried back in the day. Funny, I still have the bottom 1/2 of it mounted to the rifle and no idea where the top 1/2 and scope got off to over the last 20 years. I also have no clue where the original bolts are to remove the lower 1/2...

I use Williams peeps exclusively on my lever guns. The only exception is my 22, which I shoot with the factory open sight. I personally can't see ever putting a scope on a lever action rifle. If I need a scoped rifle, I'll use something else.
    We are right to take alarm at the first experiment upon our liberties.
    James Madison

I would go with the peep sight definitely. Use the size aperture to go with your use, large opening for quicker shots (short range brushy)or smaller for more accuracy (range rifle).
    Mike
    Mike
    www.alaskaatvclub.org
    There is a faster way off the mountain, might hurt a little though.

+1 for peep sights. My dad has a Marlin 1894 in 32-20 that is a blast to shoot with the peep sight.

Quote Originally Posted by Arcticmayhem View Post
    +1 for peep sights. My dad has a Marlin 1894 in 32-20 that is a blast to shoot with the peep sight.
    ooooooh 32-20 siiiiiiiiiigh =)

Love my XS peep with propective wings on my my 450 Marlin guide gun.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

The boltpeep on the old 71s was quite possibly the best factory offered sighting equipment in history, IMO. Small and unobtrusive, yet finely adjustable and fairly robust, not to mention being the perfect distance from the eye for me. Were it mine I would unscrew the aperture and stow it in a safe place, put the proper height Sourdough front sight in and proceed to tip over any critter that happened to step in front of me out to 200yds.

Well,Hodgeman sums it up:''like ice cream on pie!''
    Now I will spend the extra bucks for that 1941 Winchester 71.A lot of money for my everyday gun but I keep saying this is my last one...
    You know how it goes.GB

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

The receiver sights/Peep have it all over the Open Sights, in that you can closely adjust them. The adjustment of Open sights can often be Crude by comparison.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by borealbushman View Post
    Well,Hodgeman sums it up:''like ice cream on pie!''
    Now I will spend the extra bucks for that 1941 Winchester 71.A lot of money for my everyday gun but I keep saying this is my last one...
    You know how it goes.GB
    Be sure to let us see photos of your new acquisition....life is to short to hunt with something lacking class and the 71 has plenty.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Now I'm not going to blow wind by saying I don't have a scoped lever action but here in Pennsylvania, like any brush country, I use my scope for animal identification and 'scoping' the area. Rarely if ever can I recall taking a shot using that scope.
    I have raised scope mounts and use the open sights when taking my shot. It is rare indeed to take an animal in brush country further than 50 meters.

I'd highly recommend the peep sight. On my 30-40 Krag which, I may add, was acquired from Juneau, AK, always had one and, in my humble opinion, find them to be better suited, finer tuning and more accurate than a scope for most applications.

Go with the Peep sight and you may find yourself selling off your scope collection.

"Any day you can look back on is a good day"

I took mine out today and WISHED I had a Williams peep sight. Blade sight moved all the way down, as far as it would go, and was still shooting way high, even at 100 yrds.

FL2AK
    Does your front sight slide into a dovetail in the barrel or is it part of the front barrel band. Although a higher front sight would fix the shooting high problem, the peep sights are much nicer than the open sights. I replaced the safety lever on my Rossi with a home made peep that works very well, but, if I remember, yours is prior to the phony safety so either a reciever sight that has to be drilled and tapped or a tang sight.

You're correct, rbuck, mine is an Interarms Rossi, made well before the lawyer safety, so I don't think I have the option of the rear peep sight you fabricated for yours, which, by the way, was a great idea. (I've seen his rifle, he fabbed a peep sight on a lathe from spare metal parts from something else, and it's pretty well done.)

The Williams catalog does not list a part number for any Rossi rifle, nor for the Winchester Model 92, so I'm not sure if any of their sights will fit. Do you know of anyone making an adjustable peep sight or tang sight specifically for the Rossi rifles?

My memory isn't so good but someone ( I think Rossi ) makes an inexpensive tang sight for their 22 pump that is supposed to fit the Rossi 92. You may have to drill and tap one hole. The other method is to get an aperture sight for the M94 and have a couple of holes drilled and tapped. The external dimensions on the 92 and 94 are close enough to work. It's actually Taurus and they are $33. They aren't as nice looking as the lymans or Marbles sights but they are a bunch cheaper.

Williams Peep Sight. Have the Williams sight on my Model 94 30-30 Trapper. Incredibly well made, tough, and accurate. Have carried rifles equipped with the Williams sights in the field under all conditions and never had the sights move from the set aiming point. Great for wet weather and salt water beach type hunting environments. Most of the components of the Williams sight are machined from aluminum block. Consequently very little rust or corrosion will ever develop on these sights. Took a black bear with the model 94 with aperture sight this spring.
    Have another lever gun with "buckhorn" style sights, find them hokey and can't stand to use 'em. Tommy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast