Thread: What boots to wear

Default What boots to wear

I will hunting unit 23 for caribou in Selwick are knee high lacrosse boots ok or are hip boots better?

Mackman

Are you only hunting from a boat or will you be doing any hiking?

Quote Originally Posted by mod elan View Post
    Are you only hunting from a boat or will you be doing any hiking?
    From what he told us mostly hiking

Quote Originally Posted by Mackman View Post
    I will hunting unit 23 for caribou in Selwick are knee high lacrosse boots ok or are hip boots better?

Mackman
    When I was guiding I always had my LaCross hip waders in camp. BUT....if I found that I didn't need them all the time, then I would wear my leather Meindl boots. I like the added ankle support when walking a lot of tundra.....especially when packing meat.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    When I was guiding I always had my LaCross hip waders in camp. BUT....if I found that I didn't need them all the time, then I would wear my leather Meindl boots. I like the added ankle support when walking a lot of tundra.....especially when packing meat.
    Thanks I was thinking about wiggy waders

Mackman heres the thing, some years ago when I started working on the peninsula ankle fit lacrosse waders were standard issue guide and hunter boots(still are some places). The problem I have always found was that a big majority of the hunters were not used to hiking in hippers and ended up with blisters. Once blisters get to a certain point they can and will ruin a hunt. I bring this up cause you mentioned that you will be mostly hiking. My choice would be a well broken high quality comfortable boot. For some that may be a hipper and others it may be knee high rubber boots others maybe leather hiker. The advantage of hippers is obvious for stream crossings but they are also great when walking through the wet brush.(We used to use cut off rain pants to wear with hippers or long HH rain coat to be completely waterproof.) If you choose a hiker or knee boot I would take along some gaitors or something similar to keep the brush out.For me personally if I was choosing between the two you mentioned I would choose an ankle fit hipper but lots out there use knee highs and love them(heck who dont own extra tuffs in Alaska...lol)...but dont overlook a good hiking/hunting boot.. but I am a minority as I wear plastics with glacier socks for all my hunting now...

Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post
    Mackman heres the thing, some years ago when I started working on the peninsula ankle fit lacrosse waders were standard issue guide and hunter boots(still are some places). The problem I have always found was that a big majority of the hunters were not used to hiking in hippers and ended up with blisters. Once blisters get to a certain point they can and will ruin a hunt. I bring this up cause you mentioned that you will be mostly hiking. My choice would be a well broken high quality comfortable boot. For some that may be a hipper and others it may be knee high rubber boots others maybe leather hiker. The advantage of hippers is obvious for stream crossings but they are also great when walking through the wet brush.(We used to use cut off rain pants to wear with hippers or long HH rain coat to be completely waterproof.) If you choose a hiker or knee boot I would take along some gaitors or something similar to keep the brush out.For me personally if I was choosing between the two you mentioned I would choose an ankle fit hipper but lots out there use knee highs and love them(heck who dont own extra tuffs in Alaska...lol)...but dont overlook a good hiking/hunting boot.. but I am a minority as I wear plastics with glacier socks for all my hunting now...
    Thanks Bear
    I have a good pair of leather hunting boots that are well broken in. I was thinking those and a pair of wiggy waders

Quote Originally Posted by Mackman View Post
    Thanks Bear
    I have a good pair of leather hunting boots that are well broken in. I was thinking those and a pair of wiggy waders
    I use the Wiggy's waders a lot and would NOT recommend them for this type hunt and I have hunted in that area. I would recommend Neos River Trekkers instead as they are more heavy duty and made for slipping on over your hiking boots and have a vibram sole. The Wiggy's are made for quick crossings and lightweight type hunting. I have wore through the thin soles on the Wiggy's in just one hunt. They also don't stay on very good, as again they are only really for quick water crossings.

Wiggy's on a sheep hunt.

Neos in the Brooks.

"I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/