Thread: Valdez to Cordova in Jetboat?

Default Valdez to Cordova in Jetboat?

I've got a 21' Weldcraft; wondering how the water is between Valdez and Cordova. Been as far as Blight Reef with no issues. I know this is highly dependant on weather, etc. Just wondering if it's reasonable on a good day.

It's very possible. About 65 nautical miles and you can cut in behind Bligh Island through Tatitlek Narrows to get a break from the weather. Goose Island is the halfway point and Bligh isn't far from that. If you haven't gone behind Goose Island before, I wouldn't recommend it. Lots of rocks.

Do it!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Fish Blood View Post
    I've got a 21' Weldcraft; wondering how the water is between Valdez and Cordova. Been as far as Blight Reef with no issues. I know this is highly dependant on weather, etc. Just wondering if it's reasonable on a good day.
    I tried to do it with my similar jetboat 3 years back. The weather came up as I was going around Knowles Head and we had to tuck back into Port Fidalgo and eventually ended up turning around. My advice is to not be loaded down too heavy with gear and to make sure you have enough fuel to make it in case the weather comes up and you end up bucking the waves and using much more fuel. The problem with most jetboats like yours and mine is that they have very low sideboards, gunnels, and bows which do not allow us to buck the heavier waves.
    Be very careful. I am in no means a *****, but when we got into that weather I was praying pretty fervently. I remember trying to work my throttle to keep the bow from dipping into the waves. There were confused seas and we had numerous side swells that came into the bow.
    Again, be very careful. With that said, I have been wanting to do that trip again but just haven't had the time. I am attaching a photo of my boat for you to compare.
    Good luck ~907IMG_0632.jpgIMG_0634.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by 907pride View Post
    ...... I am attaching a photo of my boat for you to compare.
    Good luck ~907IMG_0632.jpgIMG_0634.jpg
    Not to change the subject, but I don't recognize that bridge or landing. Where were those pictures taken?

Thanks,
    Kelvin

That's the bridge at cooper landing it looks to me, on the kenai!

Quote Originally Posted by KelvinG View Post
    Not to change the subject, but I don't recognize that bridge or landing. Where were those pictures taken?

Thanks,
    Kelvin
    Yup, Thats correct. This was last summer on Kenai lake. We went to Homer to halibut fish but the weather was horrible so we went up and ran the kasilof and then spent the day on the lake by cooper landing.

Quote Originally Posted by 907pride View Post
    Yup, Thats correct. This was last summer on Kenai lake. We went to Homer to halibut fish but the weather was horrible so we went up and ran the kasilof and then spent the day on the lake by cooper landing.
    Thanks, Nice looking water

Thanks for all the advice. I may try to make the trip this summer. Looks like some good fishing along the way.

It would be a fun trip. I charted a route last year for kicks and and don't think it would take more than three hours with no stops. Weather is the big factor. I hold 80 gallons on the boat and burn 8 an hour but figured my burn at 10 for a safety margin. 30 gallons of fuel if weather is good. Not sure what fuel cost in Cordova but I would probaley bring an extra 30 gallons just to be safe. I am sure there would be plenty of stops and diversions to see cool stuff. I ran from Whittier to Valdez a couple years ago with no problems. I stayed the first night out in Galena bay and fished then headed in to port the next day. Took 41 gallons to top off.

Anyone know the best time of year for fishing in Cordova? I might have to try and do that trip this summer

Definitely doable, weather providing. I just spent 4 days on the sound in a much larger boat, from Cordova to almost Whittier, and two of those days and maybe three you could have done it in a jonboat it was that calm (for the record, do NOT do it in a flat-bottomed skiff....ever. The wakes from the bigger boats might do you in). You wouldn't have had any problem at all. But...it's all about the weather as you're aware.

Also, stay out of the Ferry Chenega's way...that things hauls a, err...goes really fast and is big when coming at you going 35 knots or whatever....lol.