Thread: Whittier halibut

Default Whittier halibut

going out again this weekend, strictly a working trip, of course (HAHAHAHA) Anyway, we pretty much only get into rockfish, last time we were around 40 miles out, not sure where we were, but I am wonderin what are some areas where we can look for halibut?
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

they are usually near the bottom.... just about anywhere is good

Don't ya hate smart people? They know everything.

From what I've heard, if you head down towards Dangerous Passage and the islands south of there, you should get into decent halibut. Just look for some big humps and fish them. I fished the humps off of Crafton Island last week and didn't catch anything. Wish I would have went further south. Good luck out there.
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

Wow Dangerous Passage now thats a nice boat ride. I have never gone near that far at all. There are plenty of spots within 24 miles, got 4 or 5 over 100 and limits on 25 a lot, Surprse Cove, Esther Rock, Passage even within sight of Whitter. Look at chart for large flats. ? Gee

Fished around Cokrine all weekend and got some cod (saturday morning we got 4 in the first 15 minutes) got a couple snapper and a dusky rock, no halibut though.
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

Water temps have warmed to around 50 and we finally got some butts [35# eaters] this past week. Fished Knight Passage on the drift from just over 200 feet to about 350.
    PWS w Girls June 12 097.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by FurFishGame View Post
    going out again this weekend, strictly a working trip, of course (HAHAHAHA) Anyway, we pretty much only get into rockfish, last time we were around 40 miles out, not sure where we were, but I am wonderin what are some areas where we can look for halibut?

Quote Originally Posted by FurFishGame View Post
    At the southern tip of Lone Island there is a nice sandy flat I have always been ale to catch some decent chickens off of that flat at high tide. You can find it on the depth chart and the nice part is its only about 60 feet deep. When the halibut stop biting the rock structure in the middle of the passage holds some nice Rockfish and Lings. Dont forget to bring some buzz bombs we have pulled nice feeder kings out of the same passage. I have my boy sit in the front of the boat and watch for them to start jumping then just toss a buzz bomb at them and its fish on!!! Make sure you dont have any lines on the bottom though it makes a hell of a mess when a king is circling the boat LOL.