Thread: ammo for marlin SBL

Smile ammo for marlin SBL

When I have time to reload I use mostly my own cast reloads but if I do not have the time I have got some Hornady leverevolution ammo in 325 gr with the little red tip, this for my 45/70. It is only for play I am not sure if this bullet will hold together so it's only for fun. Does anyone have experience with this ammo, will it work for bou, moose, black bear.
    I also have a few boxes of factory ammo from Montana called HSM the box says (bear load) listed as 430 gr.RNFP it looks like a kieth style hard cast bullet. It looks good I have not shot any yet. Can anyone shed some light on this factory ammo as well.
    Thanks for the help

The HSM you have are whoppers. If I recall they are pushing almost 1800fps. I liked them, stiff recoil though. Good Starline brass to reload. I had very good groups and that size bullet going that speed should put a wallop on an animal if you had to.

I've shot the Hornady as well, but only at the range. I think there has been some threads here in the past where people were pretty happy with it. You may have to search to find the old ones, but they've been discussed before.

thanks for the reply

I did shoot some of the woppers this weekend and they are thumpers. The hornady is not to bad.

Thanks again