Thread: Need Help finding Rivers, Lakes, Streams, ponds etc.

Default Need Help finding Rivers, Lakes, Streams, ponds etc.

A buddy and I are headed up to Alaska from the good ole state of Oklahoma. We have little to no knowledge of Alaska and its fishing, other than we know its good and we know its where we need to be. We want to fly fish any water that is available without a boat. We will fish for anything but would love to hood into some nice salmon and feel it necessary to catch a King before the end of the trip. We also love trout too!! Please send us any advice you have regarding water and what to fish with (details:fly,tippet,rod weight) and anything else we should know!! Thankyou!!!! Look forward to reading the posts!!

What time of the year? Where in AK?

Well, they want salmon and trout, so that basically rules out the interior.

Quote Originally Posted by FishAddictAK View Post
    What time of the year? Where in AK?
    We are planning on getting there about June 15 and we will start in Anchorage and work out way down!

Quote Originally Posted by mlshore View Post
    Well, they want salmon and trout, so that basically rules out the interior.
    What is there in the interior?

Quote Originally Posted by okietroutslayers View Post
    What is there in the interior?
    Graylings, graylings, graylings, pike, and graylings. We've got some outstanding grayling fisheries available roadside but if you're trying to pack a bunch of species into a short time, you're probably best off in south central AK. I love fishing for graylings but I don't think it's what most people have in mind when they think about Alaska fishing. There are some silvers and rainbows in some of the lakes but typically they're stocked, not wild.

For a great overview about fishing on the road system it is very hard to beat Gunnar Pedersen's "Highway Angler" book. Pedersen's "Alaska Fishing" book is a great overview, too.

Driving around Alaska fishing sounds like a perfect vacation to me.

So by working your way down one can only assume you are heading to the Kenai. Mlshore advise of the Hwgy Angler is sound and you should purchase, it will save you lots of additional research and answer most of your question concerning timing and tatics. If you fishing Kings please understand you will have to "Tackle up" Min on Parks Hgwy Systems IMO is a 10W. Min on the Kenai 12W. Now mind you we all have opinions and mine is just one of many.

I don't worry about a particular Tippet material when pig -n - jig fishing i.e. tossing large flies for big fish. Again depending on the systems, size of fish and current will dictate what size leader i.e. length and lbs or X you will use. For Parks Systems I normally go with straight up 15 -20 lbs Maximum green. Being that your average fly line strength is 30 lbs it does not do you much good to match or exceed it so!!!!!!.

Another good source a data would be Alaska Fly Fishing Goods web site they have a reasonable amount of data that may assist.

Good Luck with your trip.

BMR

I'm headin up from texas july 5th thru 14th. Thanks for the input guys, its helped me also.
    Heading for the "little su" and a few lakes around wasilla. thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by motfua View Post
    I'm headin up from texas july 5th thru 14th. Thanks for the input guys, its helped me also.
    Heading for the "little su" and a few lakes around wasilla. thanks again
    Make sure you only take light gear out on the Little Su during that timeframe. You don't want to be caught swinging a 10wt on waters closed to king fishing.