Thread: Eureka Trail conditions/snow?

Default Eureka Trail conditions/snow?

Has anyone ridden around Eureka recently? What condition are the trails in? Muddy/dry? Lot of snow up top still?

Thanks,
    Tim

Was there June 2 and 3. Had three Ranger 6X6's in the group. Made it to Crooked Creek cuting back and forth across the trail attempting to stay out of the snow. Decided to cut east across country and basically followed Crooked Creek to the Little Nelchina, crossed the Nelchina and got to the Tyone then up Yacko Creek and White Sands creek area. Monument still had snow, but by this weekend should be passable. Everything below like 4,000 ft of elevation was melted and dry. Normal mud holes have water and mud nothing new.

IMG_1214 (Large).jpgIMG_1210 (Large).jpg

Looks like you guys had fun! Thanks for the update. I was wondering because I read the other thread about snow up Hatchers Pass. Supposed to be nice and warm toward Eureka this weekend.

Tim

No problem. I'm headed to Lake Louise this weekend, but IMO Eureka is open for business.

Good to see that the trail is getting more open. Hope to be able to get back to Flat Creek on Father's Day weekend. What was the gravel pit like at 130 mile? Did you see any Caribou on the trip in?

Saw a few caribou scattered here and there.

Mostly had a great time in Eureka. My girl friend has never ridden a four wheeler before so I put her on the kids' Grizz 125 and she rode to the lodge and back. Gave her 20 minutes on the 6x6 in the gravel pit and they we headed down Old Man Trail with her riding the 125. That didn't last long. It was much easier for her to ride the 6x6 then the overly maneuverable 125. So... I rocked the 125 and plowed through all the mud and holes. Water was OVER my 16" boots and knee deep. (I like to be a dork and walk some of the mud holes to know how deep they are, which is stupid.)

Gravel pit was wet, lot of rain.

Tim
    Attached Images Attached Images

Btw, turning into the pit Friday, I was rear-ended by an anxious Chitna dipnetter. Got to give props to Frank Meyer, a professional mobile heavy equipment mechanic who stopped and fixed the trailer tongue for $300. Frank did a GREAT job and it looks more sturdy than prior to the accident. Trailer tongue was bent 90 degrees, the roof rack ladder was damaged in addition to the slight damage to the fiberglass. Trailer hitch and receiver were pushed in and upward too.

Pic of Frank gettin' 'er done, right there in the gravel pit!

Tim
    Attached Images Attached Images