Thread: Sling Ideas for Puma 92

Default Sling Ideas for Puma 92

I am wanting to put a sling on my Puma 92 454. I saw that somebody used a barrel clamp on the cartridge tube and then just used a threaded loop on the stock. My concern is that the cartridge tube is pretty thin and didn't know how well it would hold up. There seems to be quite a few other Puma 92 owners here and I was hoping for a few ideas on what works and what doesn't. thanks in advance

Yes the tube is thin but itís good steel and tough. The ole 94s have been slung that way a very long time and it works fine. If itís a round barrel 20 model (I think all the 454s are?) put the band in front of and tight to the existing band. That way it canít slip down the tube and the two bands support each other. If octagon I wouldnít put it there, the barrel band on those is only held in by a rotary dovetail that could loosen up from the pressure but the fore end stock on those is long enough that it could go at the band there. That band is bolted through a larger lug that is in a normal dovetail and well supported by the fore end mettle.

Back in the 30-30 heyday there were swivel screws to replace the screw in the stock band. Also used to be replacement barrel bands with a lug on the bottom to attach a sling. Havenít seen ether of those in years but they may be out there or if your like me you could make ether type.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

My Rossi 92 is a Saddle RIng Carbine (SRC), 20" round barrel, and it came from the factory with sling stud attached to the magazine tube using a half circle piece. It also has a sling stud screwed into the wood in the stock. You might check with Rossi on getting those parts and having them installed by a gunsmith here.

Hey Kobuk, Williams sight company makes a magazine tube sling stud and swivel for that gun. I just saw it on their website. www.williamsgunsight.com

Hey thanks guys. I see that both Williams and Uncle Mikes make them. I'll call to see if either carry it in stainless so it will match, on the mag tube anyways.

The mag tube is a weak spot on the 454 Puma. I have seen a mag tube pull out of the threads in the action on the 454. I assume this is because of inertia of the mag tube during recoil. This happened to a friends Puma that he had added a clamp on type sling stud. My thinking is that any weight added to the mag tube is a bad idea. I use a woven (cloth?) sling looped around the barrel/mag tube with a stud screwed into the stock. It works fine without adding mass to the mag tube.

On other than the 454 and some of the 454s there are no threads on the mag tube which I think is a bad idea anyway because they use such a flimsy fine thread on a tube that is only .040Ē thick. The tube on all the 92s I have here (7 of them at the moment in 357/45/44) is retained at the front band and with the spring cap retaining screw . . . octagon models only with the cap retaining screw and are far less strong I believe. The band bolt keys the mag and barrel to each other and because the band surrounds this and ties it all together tightly this is a tough set-up.

On one with the threaded tube I think it would be a good idea to put two of those clamps on it one on each side of the barrel band to help hold it in place. Also Iíd not fill the magazine all the way when I was at the range and not shoot it with a full mag if I didnĎt need to, take some of the spring pressure off the little threads when there is no reason I need a full magazine load. Iím sure a full mag with all the spring pressure and mass is far more of an issue than the mass of a sling swivel on there.

This is the 357 model Iím working on now to help understand what I mean.
    DSC_10003a.jpg
    DSC_10004a.jpg
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

I don't like the screw in tubes as the inner mag tube attaches to the outer tube via the end cap adding the mass of the inner tube to the outer. My friends was a screw in tube and it pulled out. Mine uses an outer tube that is held in place by the two cross screws in the barrel bands and the end cap that has a thick tab that turns into a slot that is machined in the bottom of the barrel. Nothing can move without shearing a substantial piece of steel.