Thread: Anyone still using Cushman Tracksters?

Default Anyone still using Cushman Tracksters?

I have always been fascinated with tracked vehicles and am finally getting to a place money wise where I might be able to scratch that itch. I am wondering if anyone on the forum still uses a Trackster to access the back country, especially for hunting and exploring.
    Justin

As many track machine I had over the years I was never impressed with Cushman Tracksters. The biggest problem would be is finding parts to keep a 30+ year old machine running. The new 4-wheeler are 10 time better than most of the old small track machine.

Years ago I hunted with a friend who owned a Cushman.

We used it to haul loads into camp. Once we got to camp it stayed parked and we hunted with 4 wheelers. When I asked why we didn't use it more he told me it was easy to walk the machine out of it's tracks and a real pain getting them back on. He owed a 2nd machine for parts because they where hard to come by; and that was 15 years ago.

The thing that sets the cushman trackster apart from other rigs is i think it has a suspension. Another rig you could try is an otter or weasel. If you have a TON of money. go buy a Hagglund (google that, it has other names). You may want to look at a hydrotrax or mudox (but no suspension). You CAN put tracks on Argo and Max machines (which is cool because they are still in production). If you buy used, get new enough one that has SPLINED axel shafts, no pins. Buy one with out tracks and get a set of Adair tracks (google search, again). I would say stay away from the Cushman, they are too few and far betewene to get parts for, unless you can get one runner and 2 parts rigs, but again, all the componets will be wore out. Really expensive to get parts shipped to alaska.