Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Salmon Fillet Knife

Default Salmon Fillet Knife

I'm looking for a quality fillet knife for Salmon. I want it to be durable, but easy to sharpen. I also want it to be long enough to fillet a decent King Salmon. There are a few models on the market, which look like they might do the trick. What are your thoughts?

Forschner 59216

F. Dick Kullenschliff

Kershaw 9" Fillet

Kershaw 10" Breaking Granton Edge

Get a Cutco Fisherman's Solution. Blade length is adjustable, good steel, been using them for years. Easy to sharpen or send it back for sharpening, just pay shipping. I like the orange handle.

http://www.cutco.com/products/produc...itemGroup=5721
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

I have several Dexter Russels. They work great and hold an edge real well.
    I have done close to 20 halibut at one time without touching the blade and it stayed really sharp the whole time.
    I used to use a kershaw but found the Dexter Russell's held an edge better for me.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Cutco can be hard to find outside of the local shows, my next pick would be the Forschners.

No need to get all crazy with a 20in blade, 9-12 is more than plenty I prefer them only long enough to make it from the spine to belly on a mid size king of 30-40#, perfect for all other applications.

X2 on the Cutco, had a blade break once, and they replaced with no questions asked.
    2003 220 Hewescraft Sea Runner 115 Yam'y, Soft Top "Schmidt Happens"

by far the best knife ive found are the cutco. can be ordered online and in hand within a few days. worth the money, can be touched up on a steel easily, durable, extendable blade, just a nice knife. not trying to talk bad about other products for those of your who own other brands, but just my 2 cents.

I have a cutco, good knife poor customer service on the local reps part. Last year I got an Eagle River Knife co. double edge. I did not have to sharpen it after dip netting. I got one more this year because I like it so much. It works extremely well on halibut and rockfish with the double edge and long enough to handle a good sized king.

Quote Originally Posted by RustyMonkey View Post
    I have a cutco, good knife poor customer service on the local reps part. Last year I got an Eagle River Knife co. double edge. I did not have to sharpen it after dip netting. I got one more this year because I like it so much. It works extremely well on halibut and rockfish with the double edge and long enough to handle a good sized king.
    What he said, bought mine 6years ago and haven't even thought about another one.

I really like the 9" Buck fillet knives. They hold an edge better than others I have tried. They are not the easiest to sharpen but that is also why they hold an edge longer too. They only cost $20 so can't hardly beat that price.

Sounds like your in the market for a higher quality knife, however I REALLY like the Gerber I have that came with a V type ceramic sharpener in the sheath for use on the boat or on the river, its cheap so i've I loose it on the river side, I don't mind so much. Makes a good second knife for the backpack, etc.

Surprised no one has mentioned the Havalon fillet knife.

Quote Originally Posted by Birdman2012 View Post
    I also want it to be long enough to fillet a decent King Salmon.
    Long enough? Here's a method that will allow you to fillet the biggest salmon you'll ever catch with only a 6" blade.

http://www.ifish.net/board/showpost....4&postcount=36
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Quote Originally Posted by TWB View Post
    Surprised no one has mentioned the Havalon fillet knife.
    Yes, me too. I read this thread specifically to see if anyone has used this new model of Havalon yet. I'm a Havalon-convert, but have not tried their fillet knife yet.

So for now, my favorite is still my Henckle fillet knife. Kinda pricey, but very very fine German steel.

Quote Originally Posted by fishNphysician View Post
    Long enough? Here's a method that will allow you to fillet the biggest salmon you'll ever catch with only a 6" blade.

http://www.ifish.net/board/showpost....4&postcount=36
    Thats awesome, thanks for the link! I think i'll try that on some of the big male reds this year!

I have several fillet knives and always find myself using the $25 folding Kershaw. You can try all of the knives you want but your filleting technique will get you farther than an expensive knife.

I bought a havalon filet knife last year, wow its sharp and when it gets dull you just swap to a new blade. I did about 30 silvers, a few halibut and a dozen rockfish and did not need a new blade. My only concern is that it's a little short, but with a little work you could filet anything with it.

Sent from my HTC Desire CDMA using Tapatalk 2

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Cut co

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

Have , use and happy with both the Cutco (stiffer/ adjustable) and the Forschner (good flex). Own others (Kershaw, dexter, etc.) but my go-to's have served me well. Next time you pass a cleaning station in Seward or Homer in the afternoon see what those folks use. Think you'll see a lot of Forschners. Got mine in town at the butcher's supply store in Mountain View for about $30. Tough to get out of that store w/ only buying one item though.

Don't forget the Rapalla.

That the loaner knife you give to your friends in order to leave your favorite cutlery handled only by you...

Rosenberg; Kodiak, AK
    "Two decades researching and defining fishing opportunities in the Last Frontier!"

Savage Blade Works - Check out the FB Page: http://www.facebook.com/find-friends...00003034242830
    High Quality, Alaskan made

savagebladeworks@gmail.com
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]60579
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]60580
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]60581
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by OKElkHunter; 06-08-2012 at 10:30. Reason: add photos
    “Don't expect to build up the weak by pulling down the strong." ~Calvin Coolidge~

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast