Thread: GMU 19 Moose

Default GMU 19 Moose

I last moose hunted in 1998 and had a great time and good luck on the Holitna R. in GMU 19A. We flew in with Inland Aviation of Aniak and camped right on the river. I'm non-res, and it looks like you have to stay 2 miles from the river now--not the case in most of 19B. Anyone have info on moose numbers and hunting pressures these days in 19B? Should I be looking somewhere else? Looking at a drop camp, hunting on foot, with maybe a small motorized rubber raft to go a few more miles up or down. Thanks.

Is Inland still in Business? What do the regs say on the moose season for 19B? You can probably stay on the river, you just have to hunt and shoot 2 miles off the river.
    Bag the unit 19 idea. Fly out of Aniak or Bethel into unit 18. No restrictions for non res. there.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Good question about Inland. Can't raise them by phone or email, and they had two fatal crashes last year. I'll check into 18. Do you like any air taxis out of Bethel?

Quote Originally Posted by Tumalo2 View Post
    . Do you like any air taxis out of Bethel?
    I believe Papa Bear has good reviews. The owner of this site did a hunt in 18 out of Bethel.
    If you don't mind floating big water, a guy could just do a float on the Yukon between villages and do all your flying on scheduled airlines.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    I believe Papa Bear has good reviews. The owner of this site did a hunt in 18 out of Bethel.
    If you don't mind floating big water, a guy could just do a float on the Yukon between villages and do all your flying on scheduled airlines.
    Papa is the one that you would want to go with out of bethel. I can't imagine having to hunt 2 miles off the river, that would be one heck of a pack!!!
    Semper Fi and God Bless

I'll give another vote for Papa Bear. Matintrapper has good advice as usual, GMU 18 has some restrictions but generally the limit is one antlered bull for 2011-2012. That way if you make a 2 inch mistake on antlers you are still safe.

http://pbadventures.com/

The guys at Papa Bear have always done a great job for me.

I am certain that Inland Aviation in Aniak is no longer in business. The owner Steve went down in a snow sqaul last winter. Steves daughter told me they are in probate. Martentrapper is right - Float the big water Yukon in 18 vs the 2 mile pack in 19.