Thread: Cloudy Cape

Default Cloudy Cape

I normally do day trips east out of Seward to the Johnstone Bay area to fish halibut and silvers and have done so for about 18 years. I know what to expect out there and know there isn't much for hidy holes if things turn sour on you.

I spent the last three days out in Aialik and Harrison Bays and spent one night in Thunder Bay next to Cloudy Cape. I didn't fish but know that is a pretty good halibut area. The military boats like to go out there. I'm thinking that if the weather is right, I could make the trip to Cloudy Cape and fish two days and reduce the amount of fuel it costs making day trips out to Johnstone.

My question is whether the weather is similar to the paterns you find going east from Reserection Bay. There was a pretty good wind and a 4 to 5 ft chop that made the crossing from Cloudy Cloudy Cape pretty slow in what would have been flat seas without the chop. This didn't seem to be happening in the open water east of Cape Aialik. Just wondering if the frequency and magnetude of bad days are similar in both areas.
    What-a-Day
    27' x 9.5' Glacier Craft - Volvo 300hp D4 Diesel
    Remember: Any fool can be uncomfortable.
    Denny

I can't answer for the weather. But, I have been thinking about that area too. Was Thunder Bay a protected anchorage? And did you access that area via Pete's Passage? It looks shorter, but I don't know if it is an "iffy" shortcut.

Pete's Pass is a great shortcut with no issues at all, plenty of water and plenty of width. Pretty much no pucker factor at all, especially compared to Chicken Pass. As far as weather out that way it is much the same as heading east. Just be aware of wind direction and which way the tide is running. I've found it much rougher over that way when the wind is from the east/south east, lots of fetch and nothing to break the wind. Typically I've found the hairiest part is getting around Cape Aialik, outgoing tide and a stiff breeze from the south will get your attention pretty quick.

Quote Originally Posted by idakfisher View Post
    I can't answer for the weather. But, I have been thinking about that area too. Was Thunder Bay a protected anchorage? And did you access that area via Pete's Passage? It looks shorter, but I don't know if it is an "iffy" shortcut.
    I went through Pete's passage for the first time last week and yes it is a no-brainer. Helps to deep you in more sheltered water longer. Thunder Bay looks to be an excellent anchorage. We spent the night and had a strong east wind blowing with 5 ft chop with no swells and didn't even know it until we got out to the mouth of the bay. The military boats, Top Cover etc., fishing off Cloudy Cape and Surock Point were bouncing a bunch.

The tricky part with an east or northeast wind is to get across to Granite Island. You head straight into it. We had to make the trip at hull speed til we reached the lee of Granite island. You may end up adding distance to your trip, but, you can always find sheltered water til you get to Cape Aialik. The biggest problem with all of this area, is that I couldn't receive any of the weather channels once I got to Harris Bay. Big problem if your planning a couple of days.
    What-a-Day
    Denny

I heard that there are some uncharted rocks a ways off Toe Point. Does anyone know of this and what to avoid? Would be an issue to using Pete's Passage.
    What-a-Day
    Denny