Thread: Suggestions for Holster

Default Suggestions for Holster

I was wondering if anyone could give some input on a holster that would be comfortable to ride a fourwheeler with. I have a taurus tracker .44 with 4" barrel. Any suggestions of style, name brands, and where to get one would be much appriecated.

Thanks

Default holster

I use this gunmate holster

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=239638

I got mine at sportsmans warehouse for about 40 bucks, i have seen them at other stores around town, but sportsmans was about the cheapest, and they had the biggest selection. The revolver holsters have six cartridge loops on the bottom, and the auto holster has a magazine pouch. it is a comfortable holster, i wear it on all day rides without a problem.

Jake

Default Bianchi Cyclone # 111

They're a little spendy but one of the best imho.
    Good luck.
    RIDE TALL, SHOOT STRAIGHT AND ALWAYS TELL THE TRUTH

Default Cd 111

I agree with Sarge. My 629 rode in one for 10 years. My son is still using the rig.

Default Holster

This last year I spent several weeks in Elk camp on the Thorofare out side Yellowstone (we were in Griz everyday) several of the guides were wearing a holster that is called a Wyoming Combination. The holster lets the pistol ride in the middle of your chest with the butt in the cross draw style using a shoulder holster design. This allowed them easy access to the hand gun even wearing heavy coats while riding the horses. There are several companies that make them. One I found on the Net was Ringler Custom Leather. THey are spendy, I think they wanted $175. I'm going to have a local shop make me one for my next trip.

Default I just gotta say it again!

Quote Originally Posted by Yotecaller View Post
    This last year I spent several weeks in Elk camp on the Thorofare out side Yellowstone (we were in Griz everyday) several of the guides were wearing a holster that is called a Wyoming Combination. The holster lets the pistol ride in the middle of your chest with the butt in the cross draw style using a shoulder holster design. This allowed them easy access to the hand gun even wearing heavy coats while riding the horses. There are several companies that make them. One I found on the Net was Ringler Custom Leather. THey are spendy, I think they wanted $175. I'm going to have a local shop make me one for my next trip.
    This sounds like the one David was trying to sell me when I had him custom make my cross draw for my .45 Grizzly... it does sound like a good alternative. Here's a link to pictures of his standard version (and he'll customize anything you want.)

http://www.davidjohnstonleather.com/Pages/Holsters.html

I located him through some other members of this forum and got him to make me a custom cross-draw holster when I was unable to locate anything suitable already made, let alone a cross draw. I've found that I'm really happy with the cross draw for pretty much exactly what you are describing. I'm always sitting in a boat seat and everything else I've tried was uncomfortable and I wound up carrying the hadgun in the glovebox or a duffle. I've found it equally comfortable on a 4 wheeler.

Anyway, I hate to act like I'm an agent or anything, I just invested a lot of my time in a similar search and was greatly relieved to find a local, high quality and reasonably priced source, I hope he gets enough business to stay there for the next time I need one...

Here's a link to some pics of my cross draw he made: http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...hlight=grizzly

Good Luck! ChrisO

Default I'll check it out

I'll check it out thanks a bunch Chris

I would have to agree with chriso. Give Dave a call. Everything he makes is top quality and as previously stated, he can customize it to your specs.

Definitly stay away from the box stores Guide Holster. I promise you, you'll learn to hate it after the first time you use it. I bought one and used it on a goat hunt for the mt. climb. When it was all said and done my neck hurt for a week afterwards. It now sits in a box in my garage collecting dust. If you're persistant and really want one, give me a PM and I'll hook you up.

The custom leather holsters look top notch but does a top notch price tag come with them also? What kind of range are we looking at? Nonetheless you pay for what you get when it comes to outdoor gear!

another fan of David Johnston...bought two rigs from him for my .454 Alaskan, one for me and one for my son. Also bought a belt from him, $35.00. I got the 1.75 inch and let me tell you, it is a real belt! Not much thought by most about the belt they wear but with hanging a knife, multi-too, ect on them they can be an overlooked important part of your attire.

Default The Bandito bandoleer holster

For heavy revolvers with longer barrels, I have found the Bandito a very comfortable holster to wear when riding my ATV during moose season. It's a bandoleer holster as you can see in the pictures. I would prefer synthetic over leather, although I haven't had any problems with mine. I treated mine with the silicone dressing used for Goretex boots, and haven't had any problems with moisture. I carry a .454 Casull that has a 7-1/2" barrel.
    https://sf2000.registeredsite.com/~u...ategory_Code=B

This is the Home page:
    https://sf2000.registeredsite.com/~u...430/index.html

Keep in mind that The Bandito sold by Pistol Packing is a set as follows: shoulder belt, holster, and ammo pouch.

It means that you would need to include the shoulder belt size from the chart at the web site. You will have to add a holster, and an ammo pouch (if you want one of those, too).

Default Give him a call, you might be surprised! (I was)

Quote Originally Posted by hunt_ak View Post
    The custom leather holsters look top notch but does a top notch price tag come with them also? What kind of range are we looking at? Nonetheless you pay for what you get when it comes to outdoor gear!
    In my case on the holster for the Grizzly, Daves price was within 7 bucks of the closest things I could find on the shelf at Sportsmans Whse, Wall Mart, and Freddies... I also had him make me a cross draw for my S & W 357 mag and again, it came within 5 bucks of the off the shelf models (none of which were exactly what I wanted for that matter as well)

I figue from the time he saved me in looking through all the fine print on those packages to see which models they fit, I actually saved a bunch more than that.

Default Ghost_

If you are looking for the best holster period. Go to www.ringlercustomleather.com. Von has been making the Wyoming Custom leather holster for a lot of years. Von is also one of the best individuals you will come across. He makes the best holter you will ever wear. I own 4 Wyoming custom leather holsters and I will never buy another holster. The craftsmanship is superior to any holster I have seen or used. I hope this helps you decide on what to get. If you want something that fits great and will outlast anything else on the market you will spend the money and buy one of these holsters.

Looks to be very uncomfortable for those of us with some....excess....

Im too big to even wear Davids holsters....the muzzle rides out over my belly...so I use a Galco horizontal, so all I have to do is move it forward with my off arm and reach around my manboob for the draw

Default Simply rugged

Check out Simply rugged holsters @ www.simplyrugged.com It is owned by a fella named Rob Leahy and he will make you anything you want. I have a "sourdough pancake" for my ruger SBH and it is a great holster. He makes a harness you can also buy to use said holster as a chest rig also.

Default ?

A guy with one post brings up a thread from 2007 to advertise a holster? Something fishy going on.... However, the ruse worked because I looked at the sight. Not a bad holster if you don't plan to wear much more than a t-shirt and don't plan to put your arms down. The best part is I bought a holster from Dave Johnson and one from Rob Lehey for about the price of one of theirs. Money well spent!!