Thread: CZ 550fs 6.5x55

Default CZ 550fs 6.5x55

Hi guys,
    I just ordered my new cz rifle in 6.5x55 and my question is I see Normandy make match grade boat tail rounds, will this rifle shoot boat tails? Or will they be to wide for the crown of the barrel. Lol I just don't wanna end up with a banana peel barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik7181 View Post
    Hi guys,
    I just ordered my new cz rifle in 6.5x55 and my question is I see Normandy make match grade boat tail rounds, will this rifle shoot boat tails? Or will they be to wide for the crown of the barrel. Lol I just don't wanna end up with a banana peel barrel.
    I have no idea what you're asking. All Norma (?) ammo for the 6.5x55 will be safe in your CZ.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Im assuming you meant Norma? As far as boattails all guns are different some will shoot boattails great and shoot flatbase bad or it can be the other way around. In some cases the rifle will shoot both bullets very well. I have always looked at the 6.5 swede as a reloading proposition myself. I like the 129's but can't go wrong with the nosler partitions in the 140's. I think Winchester loads the 6.5 swede with there 140gr power points. Remington loads it with there 140gr cor-loks (sp).

Iv never used boat tails and I wasn sure if you needed a special barrel, I plan to mainly stick with factory loads, these are the rounds I'm looking at: http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/produc...swedish-mauser

Iv never used boat tails and I wasn sure if you needed a special barrel, I plan to mainly stick with factory loads, these are the rounds I'm looking at: http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/produc...swedish-mauser
    They should be perfectly in your new CZ.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

I'm new to the 6.5s what would be the best hunting ammo for deer and black bear

The 6.5x55 is capable of taking anything "from mice to moose"; any reasonably well constructed bullet in the 120-160 grain range will serve you well for deer or black bear.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

your best bets on ammo are Norma and Lapua, we have gotten RWS in the past but its hard to come by. Expensive, yes, but unlike American 6.5 they are dimensionally correct. Most of our 6.5 hunter are running either the 140 Naturalis or the 155 Mega and getting great results. I shoot the 139 scenars for paper

I have the same rifle you do, but in 9.3. One of the good things about your rifle, is that you'll have generous magazine and possibly throat for seating bullets further out. You should make a dummy round if you reload, and find out how far you can seat the bullet you've chosen.

Woodleigh makes a 160 grain bonded bullet. I tried them in a Ruger 77 chambered for 260 Rem, but never hunted with it.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/199...oint-box-of-50

Whatever your concern is with boat tail bullets, forget it. You might have come across some internet speculation based on VERY old wives tales.

The 6.5 Swede seems to be one of those inherently accurate cartridges like the .308. I sporterized a M96 Swedish Mauser with its original barrel made in 1917 that is almost as accurate as my Lilja barreled Remington 260.

Norma makes great ammunition which I'm sure will be accurate in your gun, but don't turn up your nose at Remington core-lokts - a great deal for the price compared to Norma.

Oddly enough the Federal Factory loads in the 6.5x55mm are pretty accurate and have a good velocity as well. Of course their brass is undersized like all US made 6.5x55mm ammo. PMC brass is super undersized. Igmann brass from Croatia has bizarre primer flash holes that are everywhere but in the middle and their powder charges very wildly from one round to the next.

Too bad you do not live around Homer, the 6.5x55mm is fun to hand-load and it is capable of super accuracy.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

I will most likely stick with the federal 140gr or the hornady maybe the Norma if I can get them. I don't reload and I really don't shoot enough to make it worth my time. The gun shop said the rifle wont be in till mid august so im waiting. I wasn't sure what ammo to get because iv read stories of people blowing there barrels with I guess was old surplus but i would think there using 100 yr old rifles which is why the american ammo is under powered. Maybe the rifle can be bought cheaper some places but its running me close to $800.
    i was looking at this ammo: https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog...productId/9454 will this cycle ok with the 550fs rifle?

LAPUA ammunition and brass for the 6.5x55mm is probably the finest on the planet.
    Their 155 grain hunting bullet is SUPER......!!!!
    Not only will that ammo cycle well in your fine CZ-550 rifle (which is super strong itself) but more than likely your rifle will have a big smile....

Okay, so I had to check. Seems that the OP ran two big brand names together....anyhow, Hornady DOES make 140 gr. BT match, loaded ammunition. The CMP sells the stuff, don't know if it's catalogued by Hornady, but it's made specifically for the "Vintage Military Bolt Rifle" matches. Now if that means that the loads are put together taking the long throat of the military rifles that were made in the "Swede" into account, I couldn't say for sure. A call or email to Hornady could clear it up, and at $26.00 a box and shipping, it's gotta be cheaper than Norma.
    https://estore.odcmp.com/store/catal...4=&note5=&max=
    As to people blowing up rifles chambered to the 6.5 Swede, there's got to be mechanical problems of some kind, like damage, or fatigue, or wear going on. The original M96's were built without the third safety lug of the M98 Mauser, but still are made from some mighty fine steel, and the actions have been made up into some rounds that damage 93's and 95's to the point of uselessness. BTW, the original military rifles had twist rates of 1-9 or faster, to stabilize the 160 gr. RN FMJ of the original loading. That bullet was also the reason for the long throats in those rifles.

IRT WildAlaska's post about "undersized brass" - what exactly do you mean? Is the entire case "undersized" or is it just the case head (which I know is an odd ball size)? I'm not where I can get the micrometer out at the moment as I have Remington brass. If the "American" brass is undersized, is RCBS or Redding sizing dies "undersized?"

It is the case head that is undersized. And since dies cannot really re-size all the way down to the head, the case stretches. here is an example.
    In my photo you can see the brass being stretched just above the case head. It leaves a shiny ring.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Interesting. Thanks for the photo!

The 6.5x655mm Swedish / Norwegian Mauser was not a Paul Mauser company development like the 7x57mm Mauser.

Norway was somewhat under control of the Swedish Crown at one time (until 1905) and a Swedish - Norwegian rifle committee was formed in October 1866. By 1867 they decided to use the Remington Rolling Block rifle. Originally being chambered in 12.17mmx42mm Rimmed. These later being rebarreled to a Danish designed cartridge of 8 x58mm Rimmed. Around 1880 the Jarmann rifle was also developed and fielded

By 1890 test began in Sweden to find a more modern repeating rifle with a flat trajectory. The Norwegian Rifle committee of 1891 recommended a 6.5mm projectile, so the Swedes went along with it. In 1893 a new joint commission was formed by order of King Oscar to fully develop the intended cartridge.

Oddly enough it was the Norwegians who wanted a rimless modern case while the Swedes originally held out for a rimmed case. At one time they even tried to agree on a semi-rimmed case to make everyone happy.....

A case developed by Roth was really the seed of the final product. Meanwhile they also kept a few rifle manufactures busy trying to come up with rifles to shoot a cartridge that they were still trying to iron out.

Finally by Nov 1893 the joint committee agreed on the cartridge design and by Jan 1894 it was officially adopted.
    By April 1894 rifles were again altered to fire the new cartridge. The Swedes having chosen the Mauser 1894 carbine and Norway the Krag Jorgensen Rifle. Both in 6.5x55mm.
    Paul Mauser must have bee pulling his hair out.