Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 7mm mag carbine?

Default 7mm mag carbine?

I'm interested in a rifle, but, its in caliber that I never had much interest in, 7mm mag. And it has has a 20" barrel.......kinda wast'in powder now. But, I like the rifle so much that I'm trying to talk myself into this 7mm mag thing, figuring I can hand load and get maybe 280 performance from the short barrel. What do you guys think? For deer and maybe caribou someday. Oh, the rifle is a Sako AV (got one in 375 H&H already, and love it)

Quote Originally Posted by Eastwoods View Post
    I'm interested in a rifle, but, its in caliber that I never had much interest in, 7mm mag. And it has has a 20" barrel.......kinda wast'in powder now. But, I like the rifle so much that I'm trying to talk myself into this 7mm mag thing, figuring I can hand load and get maybe 280 performance from the short barrel. What do you guys think? For deer and maybe caribou someday. Oh, the rifle is a Sako AV (got one in 375 H&H already, and love it)
    It's going to sound a bit louder than a 24 inch barrel, but I'm betting that whatever you shoot with the rifle will never know the difference. I'd load and kill stuff with it.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

I absolutely love my 7mm mag. I have even shot my last 2 moose with it. Be careful with the 20" barrel though. That does seem a bit short. I just rebarrelled mine in a 26" douglas barrel. I also have a 280AI that is a sweet shooter but the 7mm is by far my favorite. They have great long range trajectory and they carry their energy at long distances. Down range it even retains more energy than the 300 win mag. Sounds like a sweet setup. A little big for blacktail deer but a good caribou, goat, and sheep gun.

Weatherby, at one time, made a Vanguard carbine in 7mm mag. They came with a nice McMillian stock but still really didn't sell well, after about two years they were no more. If you can find one they are usually cheap and make a great donor for a semi custom in a magnum caliber. I know of several that have been rebarreled into dandy 257Wbys. I was not aware that Sako had made Handi Rifles in 7mm, only seen them in 338wm, 30-06, and 375.

All that said I agree with 1st Cor in that most critters won't know the difference. But, unless it was a really good deal I would likely pass on it. While 20" is about my favorite length for a rifle barrel, with a smallbore magnum it just doesn't work. To me a 20" tube on a 7mag is just too much powder burnt and too much blast for what will likely be 280rem performance. That's just my opinion so take it for what it's worth.

PS if you decide to buy it check the stock carefully for cracks, those AV stocks are getting hard to come by and for some reason have a tendency to crack in my experience.

Quote Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
    To me a 20" tube on a 7mag is just too much powder burnt and too much blast for what will likely be 280rem performance. That's just my opinion so take it for what it's worth.
    This is my struggle. Was hopin someone would pop up and say that had good luck with a shorty in 7mm.

Quote Originally Posted by Eastwoods View Post
    This is my struggle. Was hopin someone would pop up and say that had good luck with a shorty in 7mm.
    No but I had good luck with a 338 winnie cut down to 19". That was a sweet little rifle, I should have never gotten rid of it.
    LIVE TO HUNT....HUNT TO LIVE!!!!

Get a Rem seven in .260/7mm-08 with a 20" and you'll be a lot happier with a lot less muzzleblast and less recoil...I tried a 20" 7 Rem Mag in the 70's and it talked me into the view that magnum rounds belong in a 26" barrel and they are probably not necessay anyway for most situations. I attribute some of my hearing loss to that gun.

Not much you can't kill with a 7-08 or .280.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

"338 winnie with a 19" barrel" ... could have saved alot of everything by just shootin' a 338/06 or 338 Federal ! same goes for the 7 mag or ANY magnum size case for that matter - you just cannot "overcome" physics - Not that he was the "last word" or anything but an interesting read and reference tool is the 2 book set by PO Ackley, the man spent a large part of his life proving his theories and experimenting with all sorts of "off the wall" cartridges AND good ones too

I'm scratchin my head wondering why a 308 with a 20in bbl wouldn't just about cover all the pluses and minuses so far in the calibers this thread has touched on???? Pretty much a do all round isn't it?
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
    I'm scratchin my head wondering why a 308 with a 20in bbl wouldn't just about cover all the pluses and minuses so far in the calibers this thread has touched on???? Pretty much a do all round isn't it?
    I sure like my 20" 308 but I think the same rifle re-barreled in 7mm-08 will be the way I go when she wears out. I may even put my sons name on it and hand it over.

Quote Originally Posted by back country View Post
    "338 winnie with a 19" barrel" ... could have saved alot of everything by just shootin' a 338/06 or 338 Federal ! same goes for the 7 mag or ANY magnum size case for that matter - you just cannot "overcome" physics - Not that he was the "last word" or anything but an interesting read and reference tool is the 2 book set by PO Ackley, the man spent a large part of his life proving his theories and experimenting with all sorts of "off the wall" cartridges AND good ones too
    Actually there are several magnum cartridges that perform quite well from short barrels. The 338Win, 375 H&H, 375 Ruger, 416 Rem, and 458Win all do quite well in 20" barrels. I know because I have owned a few and chronoed them as well as cutting a pile of them down for customers. My 458 sporting a 20" tube is about 50-75fps behind the book speeds with the same charge, my 20" 375H&H is doing about the same. For no more than you give up by lopping 6" off a big bore in the velocity dept I'll keep cutting mine as I build or buy them.
    The smaller magnums on the otherhand, ie 7mm, 264, 257, and various 300s, need some burn time to make up for lack of expansion ratio.

Quote Originally Posted by marshall View Post
    I sure like my 20" 308 but I think the same rifle re-barreled in 7mm-08 will be the way I go when she wears out. I may even put my sons name on it and hand it over.
    Marshall I would agree with the 7mm08 until it is to be used primarily in AK, then I think the option of heavier bullets for big nasties might have an edge in 308...
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

If it's a good deal and shoots well there's nothing wrong with it....It won't approach MVs listed on the box but who cares, but you don't kill critters with a chronograph anyway. It will be a bit loud. If you hand load you can download a bit to cut down on the unburned powder shooting out the end.

Believe it or not- short barreled rifles can be fantastically accurate.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

I could never see getting excited about a 7mm Mag in a carbine. 7mm-08 or 7x57m Mauser Yes,,,,,maybe even a 280 Rem.... But never a 7mm mag....
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
    Marshall I would agree with the 7mm08 until it is to be used primarily in AK, then I think the option of heavier bullets for big nasties might have an edge in 308...
    Smokey I agree but my 308 is a anything down here inside of 400 yards rifle. In AK I will be packing the 20" 375 Ruger that I love so much.

On the other hand, my nephew took a very nice 63" bull last year with a 7mm-08. He was backed up by my Bro and his trusty do everything 338WM.

A short barreled 7mm RM would benefit from fine tuning a faster burning powder by a seasoned hand loader. Production 7mm RM ammo will torch out of the shorter tube carbine in post #1.

Quote Originally Posted by back country View Post
    I bought the Ackley books 40 years ago and they are a great read but the man's chronograph would clock a at gross weight 1967 VW bus going uphill against a headwind at 200 MPH. Good read as I say, but don't believe his numbers.

Thanks for chewin the fat with me. I'm trying to walk away from it, mostly because of the increased muzzleblast/noise........my ears have been ringing for 5+ years already. You guys are spot on, as usual.

Many years ago a buddy of mine picked up a Weatherby Vanguard that was briefly offered in 7mm Rem Mag with an 18" barrel. Man, he was proud of that thing and shot it well. He kept bugging me to chrono it for him, and guessing what the results would be like, I kept dodging him. He just liked it too much to be ready for the bad news.

Finally I couldn't duck it any more, so he showed up with three different makes of factory 150 grain ammo, and we went to shooting.

End result?

World's LOUDEST 7x57.

He was broken hearted and soon got rid of it. I kept telling him yeah, it was loud, but the 7x57 was one of my favorite rounds. He couldn't accept it and went for a standard 24" barrel 7 mag. Now he's happy.

If you like the gun and can accept the noise, buy it. Yeah, you'll get less velocity than a long barrel, but 7x57 ballistics or a little better are nothing to sneeze at.

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    If it's a good deal and shoots well there's nothing wrong with it....It won't approach MVs listed on the box but who cares, but you don't kill critters with a chronograph anyway. It will be a bit loud. If you hand load you can download a bit to cut down on the unburned powder shooting out the end.

Believe it or not- short barreled rifles can be fantastically accurate.
    I shoot a 338 EDGE w/ a 21" bbl.Very mild loads(for an EDGE),give me 2920 fps w/a 250gr AB and leaves one ragged hole for groups.According to quikload,I get a 100% powder burn in it with Retumbo.

I might have missed something??
    there's a 20' barreled SAKO & mag for sale somewhere??

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast