Thread: Remington 280 Ackley. What do you think?

Talking Remington 280 Ackley. What do you think?

I just inherited a Rem 280 from my folks and I'm thinking about reaming it out to an Ackley 280. What's your take on the Ackley 280 and what are your handloads?

Silver Tip.
    "If we lose freedom here, there is no other place to escape to. This is the last stand on earth." ...Ronald Reagan.....please never forget this!!!

Just be aware that there are multiple 280 "Ackley" 40* versions. The Nosler ammo is made to the SAAMI spec that they submitted. That spec is NOT the same as the original Ackley cartridge spec. Nosler ammo is built to SAAMI spec and will not headspace properly in a 280 reamed to the original Ackley spec. Currently new RCBS and Redding dies are being made to SAAMI specs however the Lee limited run dies are made to the original Ackley design.

It is all pretty convoluted but both the parent 280 rem and the AI version are fantastic rounds. I love my factory 280 AI Kimber 84L but am just getting started loading for it. The latest Nosler book has loads for it.

Just stick with the standard 280. It works just fine. If you want/need more velocity, go to a 7mm mag.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

Quote Originally Posted by gunbugs View Post
    Just stick with the standard 280. It works just fine. If you want/need more velocity, go to a 7mm mag.
    +1 unless one is REALLY into shooting a lot of long range stuff the 280 AI is not advantages to the average shooter vs the std 280 IMO.
    I have 2-280's and love em - sold another recently. Now, if I were starting out and buying a new gun then the 280AI would be more appealing vs a conversion.
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
    +1 unless one is REALLY into shooting a lot of long range stuff the 280 AI is not advantages to the average shooter vs the std 280 IMO.
    I have 2-280's and love em - sold another recently. Now, if I were starting out and buying a new gun then the 280AI would be more appealing vs a conversion.
    My buddy killed his ram last year with a Weatherby ultralight in 280 Rem and it worked perfectly. When Kimber came out with the 280AI and a buddy found one available on the web I dropped the coin without a second thought. I doubt I will ever shoot anything with it that couldn't also be shot with the standard 280 Rem. The critter at the other end will definitely never know the difference!

Quote Originally Posted by gunbugs View Post
    I'm not overly thrilled with carrying any sub 30 caliber rifle in Alaska, so therefore I could care less about the minuscule differences between three 28 caliber rifles. As an unbiased onlooker not defending a pet cartridge in a debate, I do see that the 280 AI offers some advantages over the 7mm Rem mag. It offers velocity almost equal to a 7mm Rem mag, and is chambered in far lighter rifles with shorter barrels and gives the hunter an extra cartridge or two capacity.

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    I'm not overly thrilled with carrying any sub 30 caliber rifle in Alaska, so therefore I could care less about the minuscule differences between three 28 caliber rifles. As an unbiased onlooker not defending a pet cartridge in a debate, I do see that the 280 AI offers some advantages over the 7mm Rem mag. It offers velocity almost equal to a 7mm Rem mag, and is chambered in far lighter rifles with shorter barrels and gives the hunter an extra cartridge or two capacity.
    This is a pretty good hit list of reasons why I picked up my 280 AI.

The new SAAMI version is about .014" shorter headspace (dimension to the datum line on the shoulder) than the old original P.O. Ackley designed (concept) of an AI cartridge. Nosler and Hornady brass are made to the new SAAMI spec. It was a stupid idea to change dimensions without changing names but it was done because Remington had made rifles to this spec in their custom shop.
    It is a given that if you should use any "wildcat" you must fit brass properly to the chamber and this may require that you purchase expensive loading dies made from your reamer drawing.

Such as this reamer drawing which was sent to the die maker.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Or this one. Redding has been sitting on this one for a while.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

I've had quite a few AI's over the years and still have several 223 AI's that I love but those are "varmint" rifles rather than "big game" rifles and I have come to feel personally that there is and should be a difference in how "I" approach each in concept - I fireform my 223 AI brass by loading fireform loads that I kill prairie dogs and such with, returning home with fireformed brass and the memory of a great trip - I shoot them single round at a time and they have always worked great for me - Over the years the AI "hunting" guns I've dealt with have given me a number of troubles so I have personally decided to stay with standard rounds in that venue - I "was" looking hard at a Montana 84L in 280 AI but after thought have abandoned the notion - Obviously, I do a lot more "considering" and "talking" than I do actually acquiring (good thing actually) but that is "my" take on the subject (at least today) and I am glad I don't have a fetish for hunting boots !!

I have considered a 280 AI for several years now but have pretty much made up my mind that my current 3 "stock" .280's will kill anything I want to shoot with them. If you reload and want something new to play with, the AI version is certainly a fine round....but then there is something magic about the 7 mm...at least in my mind.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

Default Remington 280 Ackley. What do you think?

Figured I would drop this here rather than on a new thread. After months of empty shelves Nosler 280AI brass is finally starting to show up again. I put it off last time and ended up going months without any. It was pretty tempting to buy everything Boondocks had in stock but 100 pieces plus the 50 or so once fired I have laying around should keep me covered for a while. I left two boxes on the shelf for the next guy.

I spent a lot of time wondering if i should go with the AI or standard 280 for my Win M70 rebarrel project with MGM. After all i could find and digging through here and other sites... I went with the normal 280. I dont see the need for a special round like the AI in this respect, like it was said, nothing is going to know the diff when it gets hit. Not enough of a bump up for the AI esp when i have a 338WM, 375HH, 338 Fed, and I am planning on odering a 338-06 (normal not AI, If i were to go with a larger dia in the -06 case than the 338 i would go with the AI just for head spacing issues) and 50 Alaskan from MGM for my ENCORE soon.

But in the end... just like i dont "need" the 50 Alaskan its just something i want, you dont "need" an AI but if its something you want, or if you will get a boost of confidence knowing you have the AI... go for it.
    Josh
    Back in Afghanistan, I hope for the last time.