Thread: K-Bay Tanners

Default K-Bay Tanners

Anybody taking bets if they open the K-Bay Tanner for personal use this year after last years emergency closure? I noticed a few pots for sale on Craigslist so I'm wondering if thats an omen from above?

I spoke with F&G here in Homer last week. They are going to do a trawl later this month and check the number of males out there. The person at F&G said they were pretty sure it would be closed this year.

I'm certainly not holding my breath for this years season... I could see a possibility if they reduced the limit, then shut it down. But to shut it down completely and totally so soon after the opening? I don't see it this year..
    '04 Hewescraft 24' Searunner
    200hp Honda 4stroke
    + multiple other 'toys'...

not to belabor a point... but when the season was originally suggested the Homer AC only supported a P/U (residents only) fishery that opened no earlier than late august, on the assumption that a "sport" designation and earlier opener on partially soft crab would result in overharvest and unnescessary mortality and otherwise the season would only be open for a year or two at best.
    this suggestion was ignored by the regional bio that at the time was responsible for tanners, razor, steamer and butter clams, as well as the KS fisheries in the Anchor, Deep creek and the Ninilchick. hmmmm...
    we are already seeing better management of the rivers and clams with that bio gone, but alas, the horse was already gone when we got the gate back up.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

What about the possibility of doing what they did last year and closing Kachemak bay but leaving the rest of the inlet open?
    Looking at the charts there are some areas I would like to try if they allow us to fish the inlet.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Do you guys know how they do their count, as far as how many different areas they test? Just curious, maybe I was just lucky, or maybe got better at it, but it seemed like I was on more crab last year than I was the year before....
    I had no idea it was open to non-res until the last weekend of the season when we made out last run, the Troops came by and said hello and he told me that, blew me away. I guess I need to read the regs a little closer!

Either way, hope to see you guys out there pullin this summer/fall.