Thread: Iliamna Float Trip in Less than Two Weeks

Default Iliamna Float Trip in Less than Two Weeks

Myself and three companions are heading to Iliamna for a fly-out DIY river float from June 17-23rd. Our dates and starting point in Iliamna are finalized. Now we are trying to decide on which river? The Stuyahok or the Koktuli? We are most interested in the trout, grayling, and char fishing. We will not be targeting the Kings. We are experienced boatmen but would prefer to focus on the fishing and not technical boating. Any recommendations on which river might offer the best experience this time of year? Are there any other rivers out of Iliamna we should be considering for a 7-day float? Is the record snowfall this winter having an impact on the river flows? Thanks in advance for your input.

So you are flying to Alaska next week for a remote float trip on a yet undetermined river??

Wherever you go, I suggest you wear a helmet.

The trip was planned around the Stuyahok. My companions have done it in the past. All is set. Just trying to get some local knowledge/experience on water conditions this year since snowpack was high. As there are several floatable rivers from the same starting point an adjustment is doable. But thanks for weighing in.

Have you asked your air taxi service about stream conditions?

Go to http://waterdata.usgs.gov/ak/nwis/current?type=flow USGS stream gages for discharge.

Quote Originally Posted by CKLEINFISH View Post
    But thanks for weighing in.

Very tactful, I got to remember that one

My comment, while tongue in cheek, was meant in a joking fashion. I float remote rivers nearly each year and your thread got a rise out of me being so type A. I admittingly over think things at times. I will be doing meal planning six months ahead of time, ordering flies 3-4 months out. A classic over preparation type of thing, fostered by lots of nervous energy and excitement.

The advice above is good, call the pilot and see what they think. As for back up rivers, the only one in the area I am familiar with is the Alagnak. Heard from many folks over the years that have had very productive trips on that river. A bit over crowded by some standards, the river offers some great fishing from all accounts. Poking around on Google Earth just now, it appears to be about 45 air miles from the airport in Illiamna, whereas the Stuyahok and Koktuli are roughly 30~ miles from the airport. While it would cost a bit more, I can think of far worse things than slinging string leeches to big bows for a week on the Alagnak. Good luck and have fun. Post some pics and brief trip report here upon your return if you have the time or interest.

-Dan

Thanks Dan & Bobber for taking the time to respond. Dan...no offense taken. I could have provided a little more detail to my original post. I have asked my questions to the taxi service and they acknowledged that the snow pack is high and run-off could be a factor but they suggested we wait and see what happens and then make a "game-day" decision on which river to float. That's where my "A-Personality" kicked in and I decided to find a forum to gather a little more advance recon. I'll go check out the Alagnak.

My dad and I are hitting the Alagnak this Sunday for a week of swinging leeches. Done it before, and it was amazing. Really hoping we get decent water conditions, but even more hope is being tossed into the bug situation. Will post when we get back. Good luck to you, though. Should be a fantastic trip regardless of your route.
    "I'm going out to fish." - Peter

Have a great trip next week. Let's compare notes in a couple weeks when we both get back.

Indeed. Flying in about 8 hours.
    "I'm going out to fish." - Peter