Thread: Fishing the Deshka Mouth?

Unhappy Fishing the Deshka Mouth?

Hello,

I've been a lifelong Alaskan. I love this state! I just recently purchased a river boat finally. It's a 18' flat bottom 50horse prop 4 stroke. I recently moved to Anchorage from Soldotna. I want to fish at the mouth of the Deshka. Where's the closest launch and can I get there with a prop? Also, is the run easy to the mouth? I'm aware the Deshka is a shallower river. Any tips/advice would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Charterboat Operator

use the deska landing out of willow, turn off the parks onto the willow parkway and follow the signs, if you are use to running the Kenai, you should have no problem running down to the deshka and back, easy little jaunt.
    tigh tline PB

You can run to the mouth of the Deshka and up about a mile with a prop with no problems. Don't take any short cuts and stay in the channel. When you leave the Deshka landing stay close to the Jetti and tilt your motor, it gets very shallow there. When the water is low it can be fun for the jets too. I have seen plenty of boats parked in that shallow spot.

Great, thank you!! Next weekend is calling for sunny days too!

Hello,
    Thanks so much for taking the time to share this. We're planning on heading there next weekend. Calling for sunny skies! I'm not sure what you mean by "stay close to the Jetti"?

Quote Originally Posted by fishing nut View Post
    Hello,
    Thanks so much for taking the time to share this. We're planning on heading there next weekend. Calling for sunny skies! I'm not sure what you mean by "stay close to the Jetti"?
    The jetti is the gravel spit that seperated the launch from the creek. Just stay to the right of the launch when your headed out. Watch a couple boats when they leave and where they go. Have fun!