Thread: Sockeye in the Kenai River ?

Default Sockeye in the Kenai River ?

Has anyone started catching or seeing any in the river say from the Ferry down to Centennial Park? I am just curious if the early run has started showing yet.

still closed till monday

For what it is worth the Kenaitze subsistence net caught 2 reds yesterday on there elder fish day.
    They have been getting a few here and there I guess. They did not catch anything on Sunday though.
    There 2 nets are off of cannery loop just to the left after you go down to the beach that the dippers use. Basically just before the mouth of the Kenai.
    They did not plan on running the net today.
    So I guess there are a few showing up but not very many yet.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Hey thanks guys. I am looking more toward the lower. As Per page 48 2012 Alaska Sport Fishing Regulation Summary... INCLUSIVE WATERS: The mainstream Kenai River from its mouth upstream to and including Skilak Lake, except within a 1/2 mile radius of the upper Kenai River Inlet (see page 50 for Upper Kenai River regulations). Sockeye and chum salmon 16" or longer the entire year 3 per day/3 in possession. Pink salmon 16" or longer entire year 6 per day/6 in possession. Chum, pink or sockeye salmon less than 16" the entire year 10 per day/10 in possession.
    There is a little more to it then this but this is the giest of it. Just wanted to clarify a few things per the regulation and maybe inform some of a fishing opportunity the may have over looked.

Quote Originally Posted by bowdy15 View Post
    still closed till monday
    There is only a small portion of the river that is closed to fishing until Monday.

Yup, loop-hole trout fly fishermen have been fishing the spawning beds for over a month now. "Dolly" fishing!

I wondered about that loop hole too, as far as reds go i've seen a few being eaten by seals from the beach in the last few days, going to try Soldotna tonight, i'll let you know how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaBarbless View Post
    Yup, loop-hole trout fly fishermen have been fishing the spawning beds for over a month now. "Dolly" fishing!
    I am not sure what loop hole you are talking about since it is no longer open to "dolly" fishing during the closure in the areas that the majority of the rainbows spawn. I am glad ADF&G fixed that reg! Because you are right the unethical "dolly" fisherman used to rip the trout off their spawning beds all the time! So to answer the original question, There should be a some sockeye cruising around throughout the river. The best bet would prob be the lower river. Centennial or swift water area.

Thanks again folks. I was really hoping for something around Sterling but a cruise down to Centennial is not out of the question either.

Default Moose River is just as good as Centennial now.

The fish are already staging at the santuary. So I don't know why the Sterling would not be as good as Centennial. So give it a try.

Quote Originally Posted by sniper3083006 View Post
    Thanks again folks. I was really hoping for something around Sterling but a cruise down to Centennial is not out of the question either.

Quote Originally Posted by Slayintrout View Post
    I am not sure what loop hole you are talking about since it is no longer open to "dolly" fishing during the closure in the areas that the majority of the rainbows spawn. I am glad ADF&G fixed that reg! Because you are right the unethical "dolly" fisherman used to rip the trout off their spawning beds all the time! So to answer the original question, There should be a some sockeye cruising around throughout the river. The best bet would prob be the lower river. Centennial or swift water area.
    Still think the rainbow spawning season should be closed on the middle river as is the upper river...

The middle river is closed to all fishing from Skilak Lake down to the upper kieley from may 2- jun 10.

Good luck with the sockeye. Nothing like fresh sockeye on the grill. Yum
    Fish on

Fished Soldotna last night for a couple hours, none hooked, none seen.

Caught the first one last Saturday on the lower river while speying for kings. Total fluke.