Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Holly's first Brown Bear

Default Holly's first Brown Bear

Returned home, recently,from the Sand Point area on the AK Peninsular with Deltana Outfitters. This was our second trip to the Peninsular. The first was 4 years ago and ended unsuccessfully. My daughter, Holly, who was 4 months pregnant at the time, swore she wouldn’t return due to the brutal weather.

Four years, and 3 daughters later (twins the second time), the pain seemed to have subsided. When I called her from SCI Vegas to ask her what hunt she would like to book, there was no hesitation. “I reee-ally want a big bear” was her immediate response. Fortunately, Deltana had one opening for the spring and I booked Holly, with me as an observer, the same day.

We departed Ft. Lauderdale on May 11, overnighted in ANC, then on to Sand Point on May 12. We were greeted at the Sand Point airport by Jim Weidner, one of the owners, and were taken to a local B&B which served as their headquarters for the hunting season. After the paperwork was complete, Holly checked the sighting on her RCM 375 at the local dump. We were told later that her ¾” group was the best of the season. Needless to say, I was quite proud.

We proceeded to the airport and were met by the pilots who would be flying us to our spike camp. Having loaded our bags into two well maintained Super Cubs, owned by Deltana, we were off to spike camp. The anticipation of the hunt was unreal.

We spent 7 days looking for bears without sighting a single bear. The weather went from sunny to 55 kt sustained winds with sleet, rain, and snow. 36 hours straight in a tent is not fun. The only complaint, however, from Holly was that we ran out of reading material. On the seventh day it was decided to move us to another camp where a 10’+ bear was feeding on a previous bear kill. Ironically, after Holly was flown to the new camp and just as the guide and I lifted off, a 9 ½’ bear showed up on the beach about a ½ mile from camp. Murphy’s Law was hard at work.

We settled into the new camp, anticipating the next day when we could begin hunting. The next morning we high tailed it to the bear carcass but, alas, nobody was home. The weather deteriorated throughout the day and we endured 30 kt winds, rain , and sleet for the better part of 9 hours.

About 5 PM the guide sited a bear and off we went. We were able to get into a good position ahead of the bear and when it came into range the guide told Holly it was a good bear. With that, Holly needed no further prodding. Her first shot was a miss, but the second was right in the boiler room and she added two more into the vitals as the bear made it’s escape attempt.

Upon reaching the bear, we realized that the bear was not as big as the guide had thought. In fact, it turned out to be an 8’6” sow. With what we had endured with the weather, however, Holly was satisfied with the bear. It has a beautiful coat with dark brown legs, blonde highlights on it’s back and long, long hair. Holly is already making plans to return in four years for a rematch with her goal, a 10 footer. I’m blessed to have a daughter who still enjoys hunting with me, and to have a son in law who, although he does not hunt, encourages Holly in her quest.

Very nice....well done!

Nice job Holly, you could be my little sisters TWIN ....

I am sure that was a little disheartening, but that aside, that is a beautiful bear! It doesnt get much prettier than that! Congrats Holly!
    US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page

Congrats to an awesome female hunter and conservationist, along with a great Dad for taking the time and arranging it. Great job!

Beautiful bear, she will never forget the first one and the time spent with her ol'man..lol

Weather seemed to be brutal...Kenai Penn at its best, way to hang in there and get the job done.
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Congrats Holly!

I spent 6 summers on a seine boat out of Sand Point, I remember that weather all too well!
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Quote Originally Posted by Duckhunter01 View Post
    Weather seemed to be brutal...Kenai Penn at its best, way to hang in there and get the job done.
    They were on the Alaska Peninsula.....

And to daniel745 and Holly.....an 8'6" bear is a NICE bear sow or not...!!! Congrats to the both of you...!!!
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Congrats. Great pics.

Congrats on a great hunt.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

A father loves a daughter that hunts!!!! Congrats I'm sure your chest was ready to explode, I know my was.
    Semper Fi and God Bless

Great looking bear - congratulations to all!

daniel745,

Congrats to both of you. That is a good looking bear with good highlights.

Randy

Well done, getting through the tough days only makes one appreciate the successful ones even more! Very nice bear....
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Thanks, all. Daughters are special. One that hunts with you even more so! Her next goal is a mountain lion in Jan. I'm having trouble fitting it all in.

Awesome write up!! Thanks for sharing with us!

Heck yeah! Very nice! Congratulations to you both!

Now..... what's up with the 1st pic
    I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

Quote Originally Posted by akiceman25 View Post
    Heck yeah! Very nice! Congratulations to you both!

Now..... what's up with the 1st pic
    Climbing in the cub???

Quote Originally Posted by daniel745 View Post
    Climbing in the cub???
    Yes, the beautiful flowing red hair around a males face(I'm assuming yours). Can't find the 2nd person in pic... almost looks jokingly photoshopped.

Sorry, don't let this take away from your congradulatory thread Sir.
    I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

Great job Holly
    Dan

I'll let my daughter know what you think of her face. I'd recommend you not show yours while she is armed.

Quote Originally Posted by akiceman25 View Post
    Yes, the beautiful flowing red hair around a males face(I'm assuming yours). Can't find the 2nd person in pic... almost looks jokingly photoshopped.

Sorry, don't let this take away from your congradulatory thread Sir.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast