Thread: Single Hook only

Default Single Hook only

Here is the question that came up today. Most king rivers are now single hook only.........So the Little Su is now a single hook only fishery until July 14th. All (most anyway) single single hook waters want you to use a hook with a gap no larger than 1/2 inch. That is a small hook to put on a K-15. Palmer FnG could not answer the question because of it being late in the day. What do you think? I want to fish in the morning but the last thing I need is a ticket per rod in the water.
    Bill Booth

Quote Originally Posted by wbooth View Post
    Here is the question that came up today. Most king rivers are now single hook only.........So the Little Su is now a single hook only fishery until July 14th. All (most anyway) single single hook waters want you to use a hook with a gap no larger than 1/2 inch. That is a small hook to put on a K-15. Palmer FnG could not answer the question because of it being late in the day. What do you think? I want to fish in the morning but the last thing I need is a ticket per rod in the water.
    Bill Booth
    Unless the regs state what size hook opening the single hook is limited to (like the russian's 3/8 gap rule) then what ever size you want on there should be good.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

Yeah, no kidding. Just think....If someone on your boat had a proxy.... That'd be 2 tickets for one rod in the water!

Where do the regs say there's a 1/2" max?

Quote Originally Posted by ak char View Post
    Where do the regs say there's a 1/2" max?
    The only reference I found in a quick look is under "statewide sportfishing regulations, Freshwater sport fishing, 1b. " cant use multiple hooks with a gap larger than 1/2 inch except in Arctic Yukon Kuskokwim area as permitted. Page 4 of southcentral reg book.

Quote Originally Posted by sibir View Post
    The only reference I found in a quick look is under "statewide sportfishing regulations, Freshwater sport fishing, 1b. " cant use multiple hooks with a gap larger than 1/2 inch except in Arctic Yukon Kuskokwim area as permitted. Page 4 of southcentral reg book.
    "multiple hooks" in the definitions means "a fish hook with two or more points."

Quote Originally Posted by wbooth View Post
    Bill Booth
    Run the size hook that balances your K-15 best. Ask Mike at 3 Rivers. He stays current on all the regs- he takes it as his job to provide good customer service and proper knowledge of the regs is part of that. I would run a number 2 Gamakatsu Siwash, either on a bead chain or double o ring. There is no limit to hook size with the single restriction; as earlier stated, the 1/2" applies only to multiple point hooks.

-Steve

Quote Originally Posted by ak char View Post
    "multiple hooks" in the definitions means "a fish hook with two or more points."
    Yeah, I took it to mean treble and double hooks. I couldn't find a 1/2" restriction on single hooks. Doesn't mean it's not there, I just didn't find it in a quick 3 minute look while on a break. Single hooks are mentioned just below that spot referring to burbot fishing, but it said that the hooks needed to be at least 3/4".

1/2" inch rule now only applies to trebles.

Confusion probably stems from some old rules we used to have for designated "single-hook" fisheries applied to certain streams where the 1/2" max gap was specified. Cottonwood Cr and Wasilla Cr come to mind from my boyhood days. Maybe some of you old-timers remember those days.

When single hooks were mandated for Kenai kings, it was never designated a "single hook" area. A line was simply added to the Kenai regs stating "no more than ONE single-point hook may be used". No gap restriction was ever specified.

A #2 single is WAY too small for a K-15 Kwik. Even a 2/0 is too small. Here are the fNp recommendations for singles on Kwiks....

I usually rig mine with de-barbed siwashes, a single one off the back on the Kenai.

Anywhere else I use a belly siwash as well.

I like to rig with double split rings for the belly hook. Either a stout barrel swivel or double split rings for the back hook. When using the double split rings, make sure the rear hook point is up and that the belly hook point is down for maximum exposure.

The following modifications to your siwashes will help increase your hookups and landed fish, especially when fishing barbless. Bend the hook point slightly toward the shank, and offset it from the plane of the shank by 5-10 degrees. The offset helps improve initial hookups, and the recurved point helps with retention once a fish is hooked.

K16 = 6/0 rear, 5/0 belly
    K15 = 5/0 rear, 4/0 belly
    K14 = 4/0 rear, 3/0 belly
    K13 = 3/0 rear, 2/0 belly
    (FYI the slightly smaller belly hook helps keep it from reaching back far enough to foul the rear hook)

Another popular option is the Gamakatsu 510. They need a slight offset for best exposure, but the point is already curved toward the shank in an almost circular configuration. I recommend a split ring and swivel for the tail hook and double split rings for the belly hook.

K16 = 4/0
    K15 = 3/0
    K14 = 2/0
    K13 = 1/0
    (no need to downsize the belly hook as the short shank on the 510s will not reach the rear hook)

Hope that helps!
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Francis don't give them guides a picture, no wonder sportsmans is out of siwash.....
    I ♥ Big Sheep