Thread: Where to fill large coolers with ice in Soldotna area?

Default Where to fill large coolers with ice in Soldotna area?

Need to fill 10, 70 qt coolers with ice for upcoming fishing trip. Looking for suggestions for large quantities of reasonable ice in-place of hauling ice from Fairbanks.

try calling "custom seafood processing " 262-9691 or Peninsula processing at 262-8846 Ocean beauty seafood 776-8174

Back in the day, our first stop on the way to Kenai was ALWAYS an ice run to Portage Glacier.

Way back when, there was always plenty washed up on the beach. As the years went by, the beach supply became less reliable, and I often found myself donning waders to get to decent bergs.

One thing about compacted glacier ice.... it would last all week!
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Quote Originally Posted by fishNphysician View Post
    Back in the day, our first stop on the way to Kenai was ALWAYS an ice run to Portage Glacier.

Way back when, there was always plenty washed up on the beach. As the years went by, the beach supply became less reliable, and I often found myself donning waders to get to decent bergs.

LOL !!!! Still have a photo my mom took of my dad while they were in N. British Columbia on vacation,he had a huge chunk of glacier ice and looked like an ant with a morsel !! They did say it lasted a loooong time.

If your driving from Fbnks to Soldotna and have the coolers with you, try Turnagain pass to fill them up (depends on how soon your going South). We filled up our 7 coolers in Hatchers Pass yesterday in prep for leaving for the Copper River. Big savings.

You could also try Snug Harbor Seafoods on K-beach Road. They might fill coolers with ice.

That portage glacier ice was also outstanding in a drink too...
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Quote Originally Posted by fishNphysician View Post

Have you been to Portage Glacier lately? When I first moved to AK in '91 the glacier was right at the visitor's center. Last time I was there about 7 or 8 years ago you couldn't even see the glacier from the visitor's center and you had to take a boat to be able to see it. And I don't think there was even any broken off ice any closer what you'd need a boat to get to. Don't know what it's like today, but I bet it isn't any better.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

whenever I fill up a cooler that needs to hold ice for a long time, I always go buy a couple blocks of dry ice and put them at bottom of cooler, then top with regular ice. Sure makes a differenc in my experience.

Another great trick, make your own block ice out of milk jugs, gatorade bottles, etc. Fill bottles about 1/3 or so with sawdust and top with regular tap water. You'll be amazed at how much longer they stay frozen.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Quote Originally Posted by Muttley Crew Fishing View Post
    Have you been to Portage Glacier lately? When I first moved to AK in '91 the glacier was right at the visitor's center. Last time I was there about 7 or 8 years ago you couldn't even see the glacier from the visitor's center and you had to take a boat to be able to see it. And I don't think there was even any broken off ice any closer what you'd need a boat to get to. Don't know what it's like today, but I bet it isn't any better.
    Not lately....

Last pic I have of us picking ice outta the lake is 2003.... required a fairly deep wade, a hatchet, and a landing net to bring the chunks ashore.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Quote Originally Posted by Muttley Crew Fishing View Post
    Haven't been this year but in the last few there is usually some bergy bits to be scavanged. It really depends on the wind though.

Thank you all for the suggestions I will make some calls. Good fishing!

I will bring a shovel headed down next friday. !

Kind of off the subject but I fill my cooler with glacier ice every trip out in PWS. The first trip out this summer I filled the cooler and we did our trip. When I got home i forgot and left the cooler full of ice....... two weeks later when I came back from the slope the cooler still has some ice and quite a bit of cold water in it. That glacier ice is good stuff.

Last weekend there were some big bergs washed up near the portage visitor center.... its only a few miles back and worth the effort.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson