Thread: Klutina 2-3 June 2012

Default Klutina 2-3 June 2012

REPORT: The numbers looked outstanding at the Miles Lake, so we did the math and figured it was time. Alcanron and I threw our gear together in a mad frenzy and made a last minute dash for the Klutina (after kissing the wives goodbye) attempting to catch the early run of sockeye into the river. We were not dissappointed.

We arrived on Friday evening, meeting up with a buddy who traveled over from Anchorage, and found the Camp Grounds basically void of people, and seeing the water level of the river on the low side. The tents went up faster than one could say "abracadabra" and all three of us hit the river with rods in hand and our great expectations beaming. We tried a couple of our favorite camp ground holes and bumped a couple fish, however nothing landed. We decdied to turn in for the night after the long drive, on the slightly deflated side, but hopeful after seeing one fish caught on the near side and a stringer of a limit from a local guy fishing the opposite side of the river.

The next morning we decided to go down to the mouth of the river, fishing as we walked a very low water level on the river. (Passed by only 2 other people fishing) We set up near the mouth and began flipping for the sockeye. Fish were seen periodically rolling in the current. It did not take long for the first hook up and the fish continued to be caught and landed. After about 3 hours each one of us had a limit. As we returned to the campground we saw a handful of people fishing on both sides of the bank. End result for us was 3 anglers, 3 limits, in about 3 hours. Fish were filleted and put in a freezer.

Sunday had us getting up early and finding fish rolling at the campground holes. We witnessed limits being taken in about 2-3 hours. Having taken the day 1 limit out of possession when they became frozen solid, we were able to fish again achieving similar results of the first day right near the campgrounds.

The fishing should only be getting better this next couple weeks. Fish ON!

5 June Update: I hear they are really in now!
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

That is great news! I haven't fished much in the interior, but my buddy and I are going to do a suicide run tomorrow night. First trip on the Klutina ever. Hopefully we can find a spot and the fish are surging.

Should be busy this weekend

I was there Tuesday and Wed, easy to limit and not crowded at all.

awesome! im going down this weekend. see what i get...

Any recent updates? I'm thinking about making a run.

My wife and I limited out right next to the bridge in about 2 hours on saturday, nice big reds. Campgrounds were all full though........
    The Second Amendment.......Know it, love it, support it.

Just got back from the Klutina. Fishing wasn't bad but pretty slow. Caught my limit both days but had to work long at it. The water level is way up.

Just got back and depending on the time you fished they were running in waves.. Around 1 a.m. on Thursday morning you could limit out in an hour right there on the campground. I had severe gear failure on 4 fish that are now swimming around with my fly in there mouth. The guy and his wife next to me got both there limits in about two hours but he lost about 4 fish trying to get em up the bank, so he could have limited sooner...

What do you use for them? Seems I remember using a hook with yarn on it? It has been years since I have been down there but have some time off and am getiing out of town.

Quote Originally Posted by akrogers View Post
    What do you use for them? Seems I remember using a hook with yarn on it? It has been years since I have been down there but have some time off and am getiing out of town.
    Your correct, I use a 3/0 Gamakatzu octopus hook tied with egg loop. A tuff of yarn in the loop. The water is very high right now, be safe.
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

Thanks for the info jedimaster! I plan on just doing whatever the weather and the water let me do! As long as I am not at work I dont care!!

Quote Originally Posted by akrogers View Post
    Thanks for the info jedimaster! I plan on just doing whatever the weather and the water let me do! As long as I am not at work I dont care!!
    Amen to that.. Any day outside in this beautiful state is better than any day indoors.

WhiskeyJack

Have any of you guys ever caught any really large char, dolly vardens, in the Klutina River or Klutina Lake?
    What time of the year would be best?