Thread: Christensen Arms

Default Christensen Arms

I have a rifle chambered in the rem. 300 ultra. It has a carbon fiber barell by Christensen Arms. For some reason I can't get the thing to group very well at all. At 200 yards it will shoot about a 4 in group, I can do better than that with my factory 300 win. mag. At first I thought it was the loads I was shooting so I tried all sorts of different combinations (types of bullets, types of powder, different amounts of powder, different bullet exposure, etc.) I want to shoot 200 grain nosler accubonds as I have heard good things about those. Has anyone had any experience with this caliber or Christensen arms barells? Any help or advice on what the problem might be would be appreciated.

Default new barrel

If you are confident in your shooting and reloading the only other things would be bedding and trigger. Bedding more likely than trigger. The gun should shoot better than 4" @ 200. If all that is in order then nothing about $500-$600 wouldn't cure. Good barrel by any one of the top makers then fit by a good gunsmith. A top gunsmith I know and use won't touch one of the aforementioned barrels.

Which model do you own? If it is a hunter one model it does not have an accuracy guarantee. If it is a custom one it has a 1/2 min guarantee. If it was a custom I would send it back to them to make right.

Christensen Arms is a specialty gun maker. I would contact them directly for assistance. If there is something wrong I'm sure they'd be happy to help you with it.

I trust you are permitting the barrel to totally cool down between groups? Feedback I heard about these barrels were they were not as accurate as "regular" barrels. But the suggestion to contact who built it makes the most sense.
    What does it group at 100 yards?
    Tennessee

I have the same gun. I would first look at your scope and mounts. If your gun does not have a brake on it, you know how hard thes things buck. I have broke a few leupold bases and found the talley's to be the answer.

My gun shot pretty poorly with a nikon monarch in 4-12x44. it apparently did not like the recoil. it now wears a swarovski and it is doing very well.

I had a horrible time getting barnes xbt/xlc's to shoot in it.....they were all over the place. factory stuff was 1" or a little less. I found that my rifle LOVES the 180gr tsx and 110 grs of 8700. I get groups of 1/2" pretty often.

Again my issuse were due to recoil, it was killing my scopes and rings. check there first.

does it have a brake?

I had thought about getting a Christensen Arms barrel for my rifle too, just to cut on rifle weight, but I was told if your going to spend the money on the barrel you won't get as good results as rather buying the whole rifle system they make, and this came from a friend who owns one(rifle weighs 5.3 lbs. with scope). They are very nice barrels/guns but it also comes with a very high price tag too! I did alot of research on this, because I wanted to know if spending this kind of money is worth it, even talk to a gunsmith whose done some research himself and he says if you really want an accurate barrel or gun, go with a bull barrel (less flex) I am staying with my original barrel, my rifle(300 win. mag) weighs close to nine pounds with scope. You see why those target shooters are shooting those really big heavy barrels......K

Yes they are expensive. The Chistensen hunter one is $1699. and The Christensen Custom one is 3199. On the custom everything is tuned and trued.

I have a Hunter but sent it back to Christensen for the Stock, Timney trigger and sako extractor bolt upgrade.
    my Hunter is in 338 Win........I have Titam. Muzzle break and a Zeiss 4.5 x 14 on it.
    this rifle I will keep along time!
    my load Reloader 19 @ 74.0 with 225 gr Accubonds..........
    Alaska

Quote Originally Posted by barko View Post
    Yes they are expensive. The Chistensen hunter one is $1699. and The Christensen Custom one is 3199. On the custom everything is tuned and trued.
    This is a very old thread.....those prices above mentioned for those models have almost doubled since 2007.