Thread: DC480 Caribou hunting questions

Default DC480 Caribou hunting questions

I was lucky enough to get this tag. I haven't hunted the area and have a few questions if anyone has a mind to give advice.

It is the area around Lake Louise, south to Tazlina, Klutina and the Tonsina CUA, south almost to Valdez. In September would it be worth my time to canoe around the lakes, camping and hunting as I go? Or are the caribou up in the mountains and I shouldn't bother down low.

I don't have a 4 wheeler, does that kill my chances of finding caribou or could I hike off the Glenn high way or Lake Louise road and have a chance at one?

Are the caribou concentrated north of the Glenn? I was surprised to see how far the area goes to the south. Are there any respectable number of 'bou south of the Glenn, even in the Tonsina CUA?

I know I would have better chance with an ATV, but if I don't have to buy one this year and can either walk-in or canoe and still have a chance at a 'bou, it would be great.

Thanks.

Dave

Focus your efforts north of the Glenn hwy. Few are found south of that for the last 20 years. Lk Louise gets caribou around it but there are many cabins and private land to watch out for. Someone else may be able to answer when the best time would be to find them around there.

Lake Louise road is really thick with vegetation, but you are in caribou country so you could bump into one near the road. The lake is huge and the wind can really whip out there, so take precautions if you use your canoe. And like mod elan said, you should concentrating north of the Glen hwy, for sure. You're limited by not having a wheeler to go back in deep where more bou are at, though nothing wrong at all with lacing up your LPC's and getting one. The bulls that I've killed up there have been via feet and backpack....

It has been many years since I hunted that unit but, based upon my experiences here is my advice. Do not go out on Lake Louise in a canoe! That is big water with bigger weather. I used to go all the way back to the Tyone River in an inflatable and sometimes that was difficult. Only saw cows and calves moving through. Never once did I see a shooter. Forget Lake Louise Road. The Caribou aren't stup
    I would go high which means you need to go to the west side of the unit. I rigged up a mountain bike to get me back in and out. Sure it took a couple of trips with meat but the bike meant I could go in much farther in much less amount of time than walking. There are trails everywhere. When I went high, I scored nice bulls every time.

Quote Originally Posted by VilasBowhunter View Post
    It has been many years since I hunted that unit but, based upon my experiences here is my advice. Do not go out on Lake Louise in a canoe! That is big water with bigger weather. I used to go all the way back to the Tyone River in an inflatable and sometimes that was difficult. Only saw cows and calves moving through. Never once did I see a shooter. Forget Lake Louise Road. The Caribou aren't stup
    I would go high which means you need to go to the west side of the unit. I rigged up a mountain bike to get me back in and out. Sure it took a couple of trips with meat but the bike meant I could go in much farther in much less amount of time than walking. There are trails everywhere. When I went high, I scored nice bulls every time.
    That's great! Are the trails mapped out anywhere on the web? Going in on my mountain bike and hiking up is my idea of fun. Did it on a NM elk hunt years ago. Greatly appreciate the advice. Look forward to getting in there and poking around. Are there Native land I need to be aware of? I've been trying to use the on line mapping resources but it isn't very user friendly.

Thanks!

Dave

No Native land in the area that I know of. The whole area is public. There are a few mines, but that shouldn't cause you much concern.

You will have to do some serious pedalling to get out to the mountains. The trails are shown on the Alaska Gazateer topo book.

Go to Google Earth. You can see many of the trails. A good jumping off point is at Gunsight Mountain. You could get all the way back to the Oshetna River in about 6 hours. Instead, I would use the time to get high. You will easily get away from the crowds as they typically trail hunt from the luxury of thier 4-wheelers. Walk your bike down the big hills and wear a helmet!

Quote Originally Posted by VilasBowhunter View Post
    You will easily get away from the crowds as they typically trail hunt from the luxury of thier 4-wheelers.
    To the OP. Don't count on this being the case. Remember 5,000+ Tier 1 permits for same areas.