Thread: webasto airtop 2000 problems

Default webasto airtop 2000 problems

Hello fellow boaters,

I have an airtop 2000 in a 29' ACB that has given me nothing but grief. I have replaced several parts inside and it still seems to not work properly. It will run for the first start up sometimes...then after I shut it off and try to restart it, it will not start and gives me the trouble codes, usually flame detector but sometimes glow plug. Not sure what to do......the only thing I can think of is there is water in the fuel tank???.....I run straight kerosene in it.....It really doesn't like to run when the out tempertures are around freezing.....Is this a common issue???? Others say they are a great unit.....Any thoughts or suggestions???? It is the original setup( fuel tank, venting, etc) from the ACB factory. Do I send it to "suremarine" in seattle?? That is the sticker that is on the unit. There is a dealer here in town, but not sure I want use his services. i know of a charter outfit over in Elfin cove that has the same issue with theirs and every season sends it in to be rebuilt. I am suspecting the condensation, wet conditions of southeast that cause just a bit of moisture in the tank, and the sensor sees this and doesn;t like it. I have tried just a capful of red "heet" in the tank as well. Any help, thoughts, experiences,,,etc all apppreciated!

rosscoak

I purchased a 3500 series from Sure Marine and I could not get it to work off my main fuel tank. According to the instructions every thing should work. I hooked it up to a 1 gallon jug of diesel and it worked great. I re did the main fuel line to my tank and with the unit sitting on the tank it did not have enough pull to suck fuel out of the tank. My solution was I got a 5 gallon outboard tank took the extra pickup tube I had installed it in the plastic tank and every works great. I left enough hose between the plastic tank and the pump so that I fill my tank with out disconnecting from the pump. I also took the pump apart and got rid of all the ninety degree bends and rubber hose and clamps that they used. The reason I did that was I broke one of the fittings and could not get one in Valdez. I am also using rubber hose instead of the copper that came with the kit. It is Coast Guard approve hose and it is easier to use than the copper tubing. The manufacture said to use copper only but the way I have it works for me besides I am the guy who has to work on it if it breaks. I replaced a Wallas furnace with this one and there is no comparsion. So far this has been a great furnace and I have used from 15 degree to up to 45 degrees. The last couple weeks it was raining side ways for 11 straight days and no problems. One problem area that can happen is the exhaust. If it is not installed right water can get in there and cause problems. Make check the exhaust drain and make sure it is working. Also check your outside exhaust while the boat is running to see if it is getting hit by waves and boat splash you may have to install a clam shell over the exhaust. Good luck

captain,

Thanks for the advice....I may go the hose route too....are you using an in line filter of any sorts?? I am gonna pull the aluminum tank and thoroughly clean it out.....also, sure marine advised to check that the pickup tube is cut at a 45 and not on the bottom of the tank cut 90. Wish i had the bigger unit as this 2000 seems a bit weak for the cabin size of a 29 sportfisher acb.

My unit came with an inline filter.

If the unit pump is located at the heater it is critical to use the small i believe 1/8 or maybe it's 1/16" hard plastic hose as a supply line for the unit. A standard 1/4 rubber hose is too large and the volume inside the hose is too large for those pump and it will take forever to fill with fuel. To meet ABYC standard, the small line can be run inside 1/4 fuel line. Espar heaters have the bump at the tank and wallace stoves have the pump at the heater. Discovered this problem with a recent installation of a wallace stove. With the pump at the tank it's not as critical, worse part is running wires clear back to the tank.