Thread: Float trip question

Default Float trip question

My dad is visiting usduring the 2 first week of August, and i hoped to take him on a trip of the lifetime. After doing some reading I believe a fishing float trip in Alaska's backcountry could be fantastic. I have done a few half day drifts in Upper Kenai, but have never done a float over several days. So here are my questions: Will you recommend a guided or un-guided float trip? Do you have a recommendation to any good companies that can help me to plan and execute the trip?

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by AsilG View Post
    My dad is visiting usduring the 2 first week of August, and i hoped to take him on a trip of the lifetime. After doing some reading I believe a fishing float trip in Alaska's backcountry could be fantastic. I have done a few half day drifts in Upper Kenai, but have never done a float over several days. So here are my questions: Will you recommend a guided or un-guided float trip? Do you have a recommendation to any good companies that can help me to plan and execute the trip?
    1st - 2nd week of August is a great time to be floating Alaska's rivers. Day-tripping or multi-day --- roadside access or fly-out... one thing to keep in mind is the month of August's weather variability (particularly south-central, west, and southwest Alaska). Anywhere really - that's Alaska in August.

Fishing can be spectacular to the water levels being low water or even a flooded out scenario... more or less goes with the weather trends.

In terms recommending fully-guided vs. self-guided... factors truly depend on where you want to venture, character of the float, familiarity with equipment and river running, logistics, timeline you have, additionally or importantly skill-sets to be in your comfort zones. Preferable are realistic expectations and dressing the float plan out for success, fun, to addressing safety on water and off.

AsilG,
    I don't know of any body with more knowledge then Brian Richardson when it comes to planning a rafting/fishing trip. He has helped me setting up my raft and planning trips before. I recommend you give him a call and get something set up soon. Most air charters may be booked out already for those dates (sheep season opens Aug 11).

Quote Originally Posted by AsilG View Post
    I'd be happy to help you. Drop me a line at my email address or call the cell number listed in my signature line. I do commercial hunt planning, but I would help you with this at no charge.

Regards,

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Logistics, Logistics well and Logistics. Just my 28 cents worth if you limited time behind the sticks and have not planned or attempted a multi day remote float trip and you have expectations of "the trip of a Life Time" IMO it would behove you to list your expectations down review them, bump them against your total cost, and caculate what your overall goals are. You will find that you just might answer your question.

Brian has been there and done that from North to South and East to West and is a very good source of information and runs a great business so 2nd thumbs up!

Depending on your final selection and or related services you may require you could also check out several others as well.

Just between you me and the computer I would lean towards booking with a established business with a good track record. Brian has one of those as well. If I were looking to have a great time and the "Float Trip" is not the 100 percent thing I had to accomplish I would also consider getting in touch with George Riddle at Blue Berry Island Lodge it is an exceptional value for a do it your self Prime Time fishing trip in the Bristol Bay region (cabin & motor boat with some of Alaska greatest Rainbow fishing and Salmon runs.

Best of luck with your Trip.

Richard "Moose" Mousseau
    BMR