Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Picked up my 2011 Dall pedestal mount

Default Picked up my 2011 Dall pedestal mount

I posted a thread a few weeks ago with pictures of this mount in progress. Here is the completed piece. The form was originally for a shoulder mount but was drastically altered to accomodate the short face of the ram and to give just the right amount of turn. The rock base is hand crafted and the back of the mount is covered with 3 different layers of Venetian plaster. It's a true piece of art and really brings back the great memories from the mountains last year.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Here is a couple of close ups of the detail.

That is a great looking mount! I like your departure from a traditional shoulder mount and the rocks sure bring one back to the mountains.

Nice looking ram.
    How old was he and who did the mount?

first off, i'm sure everyone is gonna be curious where and when that sheep was shot and how it made the legal cut off, but they might be afraid to start a thread or ruin one..

second off, i LOVE THE MOUNT! sheep pedistals i think are the best way to mnt shoulder sheep....just an awesome way to go. i commend you on a good choice and steppin' out on tradition and pulling something sweet out like that!
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

I do believe the Ram is at least 8 but I am curious what fish and game aged it at. I could see it being aged at 9 or maybe even more. The mount is certainly gorgeous! I suspect you were either very close or had very nice glass to make the call on that one.

Great mount. That turned out really nice. How old?

it could be from the 3/4 curl area as well or one of the drawing tags for any sheep, but its just fun to try and guess this stuff. i'm not seeing 8...
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Awesom Ram there man. I'm with these guys, would love to know how old as I'm just getting the sheep bug and learning how to count/age em.

The ram was taken in a non-draw area of the Kenai mountains. Fish and Game aged the ram at 9 years old. He is 35 7/8" x 13" and despite the fact that he appears to be far short in the photos he was classified as full curl by the biologist (not that it mattered at that point).

Would you be so kind as to take a picture of each side at the proper angle to show full curl? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    it could be from the 3/4 curl area as well or one of the drawing tags for any sheep, but its just fun to try and guess this stuff. i'm not seeing 8...
    I forgot about the any ram tags. Still seems kind of odd that they exist after all I read from Heimer back in the day.

Steekewood,

Beautiful mount. I like it much better than a traditional shoulder mount. Like Abel, I am also starting to get into sheep and try to look at all the sheep on here to learn. Thank you for showing this one off.

Randy

The pictures I posted earlier were taken by the taxidermist's photographer and do a much better job of showing off the mount. Here is a picture that I snapped with my phone to try to better show the degree of curl. The biologist showed me the horns from this side at pretty much this angle and explained that he was classifying the ram as full curl based on the fact that the horns make a perfect circle. Keep in mind that I didn't take much time with this shot. It may not be precisely lined up but it at least shows things a bit more the way the bio looked at it. Feel free to discuss/debate it. It won't hurt my feelings a bit! I'm as proud of this ram as I would be if he was 40" and a curl and a quarter and feel honored to have had the opportunity to have had the opportunity to hunt him in such a magnificent setting.

Awesome thank you for that view. I think a lot of people will appreciate the picture. Very good learning tool to show the different angles a person needs to observe a ram

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    Before he said it I saw 8, and was actually thinking 9.......here's why I believe he's nine.

Different than most, I always start counting just down from the tip and move up towards the base. Normally the first year, the lamb "bump" is within a couple inches of the tip. So I just start by saying "2" at the first ring, where in this case it's straight down from his ear. Then move on up....the 3rd is very weak (as most are) but it's there at about 4 o'clock. 4 is obvious. But when you get to 5, you might have 5 AND 6 right there real close to each other.....meaning he had a real hard year that year. Then 7,8, and 9 are pretty obvious as well. BUT....if 5 and 6 are really only #5, then he may have a ring very close to the base almost hiding under the hair. I don't really see one there but it's hard to tell. I'd be willing to go with my first guess that 5 and 6 are right close almost looking like 1 year.

At least that's how I'm looking at it......for what it's worth......lol

Real nice mount btw....!!!
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Very very nice!!!!!!

Ok, you guys that are good with photo shop can you do an overlay and point out the age rings to count 9, should be a good learning tool.
    Semper Fi and God Bless

Quote Originally Posted by tboehm View Post
    Very very nice!!!!!!

Ok, you guys that are good with photo shop can you do an overlay and point out the age rings to count 9, should be a good learning tool.
    I guess I wasn't clear...???
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I see what you're saying about 5&6 but this is what I feel comfortable with.

Feel free to point out what I missed.

I see 9 also 4merguide. Good call.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast