Thread: set up new spot

Default set up new spot

Well after spending $50 bucks a day in 15A for the last 3 weeks feeding nothing but brown bears I decided to set up a new spot last nigt about 75 miles away. Let hope this one produces a blackie. Im ganna let the other one dry out of a week or 2 then rebait it again if the same thing starts happening again im pulling it.

All you can do is try. Can't get away from brown bear on the KP, just got to hope that a blackie sneaks in one night while you are on stand. The days of having black bear constantly around your bait site on the KP are over.

Amen to that, ive been baiting the kp for 20 years and have never seen it this bad with the browns. I remenber the good ole days of having 3 blacks feeding at the same time and instead of having 5-6 browns and 1 black it was the other way around. Oh well just keep tryin.

I feel lucky this year with only two brownies on mine and one small black here in 15A. Unlike a friend of mine that has eight browns on his and one set of them is a sow and four yes four cubs he finally pulled his bait and gave up for the year. The KP is ridiculous with browns

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Hopefully the October registration hunt will help out with that brownie problem...

Quote Originally Posted by kingman View Post
    Hopefully the October registration hunt will help out with that brownie problem...
    It's going to take a lot more than one October registration season that will be lucky to last a week.

This is true but it is also a step in the right direction!

Quote Originally Posted by kingman View Post
    Can you provide some details on this hunt? I went and looked at fish and game's website but couldn't find anything.

I only know about it because I talked to the wild biologist down toward homer. But there is a thread out there that talks about it in the regular hunting forum.

Just checked it's called Kenai brown bear registration hunt. I would copy the link on here but I'm using my phone and don't know how.

What's the quota on that brown bear registration hunt and what day does it open?

I don't know specifics other then oct 1 I believe. May want to do a little more research and find out. I'm still focusing on my other hunts at this point...

i have 2 bait stations out. one small blackie was the first in and hasn't been back since 5 different brownies have taken over both baits. some good pics tho. i'll try and post some

Well the day i set up a second location a small black finally showed up on the first. 2 days after setting up second location the score is new site 1 destroyed 2 seater stand one small brown 1 bruiser brown and one tiny black.

Hello all. Sorry to hear of all the Brownies on your baits this year on the KP. There is alot of traffic about the Registration Hunt. It opens on the 1st of October. I am hearing a variety of numbers from 10-14 or 3 harvested sows. Whichever comes first. I am guessing all will respond with that is way too low a number. That is the general opinion on the Hunting Forum here as well. I can offer this. If you need some help thinning out the herd a bit, when I get back from Afghanistan this fall I will be looking to fill my DB309 Draw tag on the KP. I am due to leave Alaska next year and this will be my last opportunity to harvest a brownie. Would love to help you guys out.

Unfortunately I don't think the registration hunt will even take place for the same reason it hardly ever happened all the years we had a registration hunt before the drawings. The quota is set WAY WAY to low and when their bears are killed by dlp or hit by a car it all counts tword that quota and when year after year those bears that are supposed to be hunted under a registration hunt are killed in other ways it closes the hunt before it even starts. I think unless the quota is set high then it will go on making the problem worse. At least with the drawing hunt we were getting rid of a few. Now with the registration hunt I think they are all but shutting it down again

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

This next spring the board and the state have a decision either let hunters go after brown bear or close the moose season on the kp. The population can't handle the pressure from that many bears and have a hunting season. If that happens I say KNWR should be renamed to the kenai national brown bear and wolf range.