Thread: Best treking poles and why?

Default Best treking poles and why?

In leu of the last thread and it's been a while since poles have been talked about, thought that it might be interesting to hear everyone's thoughts on the matter.
    Semper Fi and God Bless

I have used nothing but Black Diamond poles so far and have been 100 percent satisfied with their performance.

Black Diamond CF flick locks
    Black Diamond Ultra Distance Z-poles

Both are carbon fiber poles that transmit very little impact and vibration when compared to a aluminum pole which is nice plus they weigh next to nothing.

I never had any issues with the flick locks not holding the adjustment setting I had them on or coming unlocked during use.

Both poles are capable of supporting a 200lb person and a 50-100 pound pack while pivoting over creek channels.

The ultra distance z-poles have two advantages that I see. One is they do not have any hardware on the pole itself to hang up in the brush and they are lighter.

You can't go wrong with either style!

I used the Black Diamond Contour Elliptical aluminum poles last year and found them to be incredibly strong and reliable. They saved my butt in many sketchy spots on the mountain and I'll never go up without them again.

Used both aluminum Leki's and carbon BD's. I had issues with the Leki's so took them back and got the BD's. Zero issues with the BD.

Where did you buy your Black Diamond poles?

Used them all. The most durable for me have been Cabela's aluminum. Although the snap locked poles don't look as sleek as as the twist locks, they are better and stronger. The snap locks are just superior. Don't be seduced by a few ounces of weight savings as even the heaviest poles are super light. High dollar trekking poles are not worth it IMO (I have had them). Also, the anti-shock option is worthless on soft ground, but good for rocky ground. The anti-shock option is not worth it in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Stekewood View Post
    I used the Black Diamond Contour Elliptical aluminum poles last year and found them to be incredibly strong and reliable. They saved my butt in many sketchy spots on the mountain and I'll never go up without them again.

I have the same poles and trust me folks as a number of folks around here can vouch I am a bit bigger than the average mountain hunter. If I put a 150 lb pack on my back today my gross weight would be quite a bit over 400 lbs. I have several years on my contour elliptical poles and they have saved my bacon a few times. I have really leaned on them with a pack load of meat and they have flexed but never bent or broken. I don't see where saving a few ounces on the pole would change anything over what I have now aside from perhaps lightening up my wallet a good bit more.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    I have the same poles and trust me folks as a number of folks around here can vouch I am a bit bigger than the average mountain hunter. If I put a 150 lb pack on my back today my gross weight would be quite a bit over 400 lbs. I have several years on my contour elliptical poles and they have saved my bacon a few times. I have really leaned on them with a pack load of meat and they have flexed but never bent or broken. I don't see where saving a few ounces on the pole would change anything over what I have now aside from perhaps lightening up my wallet a good bit more.
    You said:"I'll never go up without them again."

Dang right. I will never hunt without poles again. Sounds like with your size, your opinion carries more 'weight' than most people. Thanks for sharing.

I just buy really good quality carbon cross country ski poles, cut them down to the size I want, and buy graphite roller skiing tips for them. Ski poles are meant to take quite a bit of pressure while being lightweight.

I do like that idea but I tend to adjust mine some depending if I am going up or down the mountain. I also use mine as a rest for supporting my bino's during extended glassing periods and as tent poles for my teepee shelters.

Alaskan mountain hunting made me a believer of trekking poles. Having issues with high dollar lightweights, I have gravitated to Cabelas' brand. While heavier, they are stable and so far bullet proof. At $14 (sale) a pair, what more can you say?

Default ...

Have both BD and Lekis. Both are great, the difference is the lock. The flip lock is WAY better than the screw set up on the Lekis!!!!! Hands down, that is the most important issue with it.
    Know guns. Know peace. Know safety.

No guns: no peace. No safety!

Agree on needing to be adjustable...gotta be. I've had the spring loaded anti-shock, which are nice, but they do get noisey. Actually the REI poles work well and less expensive.
    "We're all here cuz we're not all there"