Thread: Running a little blind Paxson Lake

Default Running a little blind Paxson Lake

My go to guy in Paxson was not down at the house this weekend. Anyone happen to be bouncing around Paxson Lake this weekend. I know the weather report just not the ice out report. I called my POC at BLM and ADF&G and no news on status.

I know BMR not knowing the condition of Paxson and the Upper G. What can I say had commitments and could not scout this weekend.

I would assume with the rain, snow and soon to be sunshine it will be open however just hoping someone went through and could share the data. Couple of groups I know wish to head down there and do the upper river so if you know please share.

That being said the water level at the outlet has risen slightly however that means diddle squat sometimes.

BMR

I would think that BLM would have had some info for you. They are getting the campgrounds ready for the season and should have been by there already.

Thanks Mod elan - In fact I just got off the phone and spoke with one of the Peeps down there. Camp Ground host has been calling in now at 0900 and providing a status report. At this time Rafts would have a hard time getting through however there are enough leads open up that Kayakers should be able to make it through. With the up and coming nicer weather by Friday we should have access if in fact it stays a little warmer.

Moose-O

Default Moose

We should be there Friday. I am going to tell my kids to spy on you to gather information on your secret fishing spots, just so you know. hehe
    On a serious note, I do hope the ice is gone. Thanks for the info.
    MO

Rentals returning 48 hours ago where iced on their Paxon Lake plans (they said still 3" or more on the lake)... I had said to them before leaving 'this was going to be the likely scenario' so they put in at Sourdough as plan B and had a good trip.

Thanks B.R. I will post the BLM data on Thurs Morning for Go - No Go on a Friday and will have my MIFI so if is not an possible thing I will update Sat as well. I think by Friday - Sat we should be good. Don't foget to check the flow at Sourdough Landing if it shoots back to 9 plus feet the upper will be a little tricky.

Keep us posted please! Heading down Friday for a chance at some lakers
    "One Last Cast"

Just got off the phone with our friends at the BLM office and the lake is still not open. They are trying to send a clean up crew down early and have not been able to access the river yet. Looks Like Friday will be pushing it if you have plans. Might wish to adjust them by a day or two.

My daughter came by Paxon yesterday and says it is still ice on. I always hold off on my Paxon Rentals untill June 10 as a rule. Many years it is open early in June but most years it is not. Sourdough down is a better choice for another week I am guesing. My first tripon the upper section is going out June 12th, keeping my fingers crosed!

Walt
    Gulkana River Raft Rentals

Thanks or the update Walt. I am normally on your page about the 12th but I had a mission. We officially switch our tirp to Sourdough to the Bridge over night with a one day additional option from Sailors on the 3rd day. Just did not want to keep hoping to have ice go.

I will double check with the BLM and provide an update for those who still have hope.

Well those who know the ice officially went on Thurs / night / Friday morning however up until the wind blew hard the bay was slush. Sorry I did not post this Friday night some idot forgot his MIFI. Any Who BLM sent its crew down Sat afternoon for clean up so Thank you guys and gals fo the BLM. Water on the middle and lower gulkana is still up between 12-18 inches and is running brownish however it was dropping Sat afternoon and Sunday.

Have a great day.

We were planning to leave on a float Thursday morning from the lake to Sourdough but I just heard that the river is nearly blown out. Does anyone have a recent / accurate report of the river. I'm debating bumping the trip back a week or two, but was hoping not to go during the peak float season. Thanks.

Sourdough is just below Flood Stage it is at what is referred to as in action stage. The Lake outlet is running normal. No way to tell exactly what is going on at Dickey Lake however after being 48 and raining most of Monday in most of the area I would assume that the water coming in from the upper Tangles is not helping i.e. Hungry Hollow, Sweade etc... as well as 20 mile and the West Fork draining a vast region things will be "well" Icky for a couple of more days. The East Fork in Paxson was running about a foot high on Sunday. Just a combination of a lot of creeks casuing the issue. They are calling for improved weather starting Weds but if I were a betting person I would think by Sat / Sunday would not be a bad starting time.

Sorry for the great news.

RMM

It's not blown out but as high as I've seen. Drove from Anchor town today raining all the way to Delta. Just got back an hour ago. I have hopes for a float next week.