Thread: Help!!!

Default Help!!!

Just hit Alaska after 5 day drive from Nebraska. Did not set a single agenda except to go and do as we please for the next couple weeks. Got wife excited about the prospects of catching a few fish. Any and all help would be appreciated in the area of suggestions on where to take her and what to fish for. For info sake I have been here a few times and she is here with me here this time so I can win her over to seal the deal for us to make the big move. The big picture is , help a guy out (me) to get the wife convinced(as I am) that this is paradise on earth. As I said we can go just about anywhere on the road system that will make her experience the best it can be. Thanks in advance for your help and suggestions.

This weekend, I would suggest klutina. Should be hot fishing for the next few weeks. Nice scenery to boot.

Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

Never been there myself but it appears Klutina is the place to be right now, Russian ought to be decent on the opener on the 11th. Every thing else on the Peninsula is slow right now. Maybe take her on a half day halibut charter out of Homer. They don't go out real far and tend to know where to get into lots of chickens.

Awesome, thanks a million!

Klutina might be real busy. I'd suggest a halibut charter if you've got the $$. Or a little grayling fishing if you are looking for solitude.

My husband got lucky, I'm the one that brought him to AK!

check out Byron Glacier-it's an easy hike .Head south from Anchorage on the Seward Highway, to the end of the 5-mile Portage Spur Road. You can visit the face of Portage by tour boat from the dock at the lake. Byron Glacier trailhead is near Portage Lake. It's a one-mile scenic walk to the glacier face along Byron Creek. Bring a light jacket, as winds tend to pick up around the face of the glacier itself.

Consider taking a guided fishing trip on the Kenai for trout. It opens on the 11th-I'd wait until later in June if you can.

I took my cousin on the upper Kenai float trip last year.
    http://www.alaskariverscompany.com/. It's fun for all ages. The youngest person on our raft was probably 11 years old and the oldest was 70.

While in Cooper Landing, go to Princess Lodge-they have a great deck.

Check out First tap at Bears Tooth http://beartooththeatre.net/. It's tomorrow, it may already be sold out. Or just go to Bears Tooth and take in a movie.

Check out St. Elias brewing company in Soldotna. I recommend the "farmers friend"

Kort

Klutina was awesome! Limit both days. There were two other tents there besides us. Maybe 6 or seven RV's. I was pleasently surprised that there was usually only about 4 of us in the river fishin at any one time and that was over about a half mile stretch. It was the perfect situation for my wife to try for her first salmon, which she got. We were there all day Tuesday and got my limit before 8a.m. Wed then headed out to go to Soldotna. FYI my wifes blog about this with a few pictures is posted at nebraska2alaska@blogger.com

Quote Originally Posted by bawanna View Post
    FYI my wifes blog about this with a few pictures is posted at nebraska2alaska@blogger.com
    For those looking for the blog, the URL is http://nebraska2alaska.blogspot.com/. It's pretty great - one thing I love about living in Alaska is that people love to come visit and it's probably the only place I've been where the locals are happy to see the visitors. I'm up on the Chena a lot and end up chatting with tourists quite a bit, and to a person they're all really excited to be here.

Nice blog!

Glad to hear fishing was hot. So is the wife convinced yet? Sell everything, pack the car, move north.

Nice blog, I too love seeing tourists show up and helping them out. Glad you found St. Elias too, great place. Don't forget the Russian opens on monday, not sure how many reds will be up there but trout fishing should be decent. Stop in Troutfitters or Kenai Cache in Cooper Landing and they can hook you up with proper gear.

If your interested in meeting up PM me, I plan to be there monday or tuesday.