Thread: New (old) boat and lots of questions

Default New (old) boat and lots of questions

So I picked up a 14 ft. Hews Craft River Runner (unknown year) and trailer with a 25 horse Johnson for $500 dollars, with oars and oar locks. It has a steering console and all the parts are in place just not attatched. The boat is in fairly sound shape but needs a new transom soon. The guy has had it just setting in his yard in the weather so I made him an offer and he took it. Basicly I take the boat home and see if I can get it in good running shape before I pay him anything, If I find it needs to much work I take it back to him and he'll let it set again. I was on the boat once several years ago and it ran fine but its been sitting ever since. I cant seem to find any info on a boat like this and could use any insight you guys have, like what is a boat like this worth and what kind of resale value could I get out of it with everything running and id decent shape.I figure its going to take about another 500 to get it in decent shape if I do the work.
    Any comments on this boat would be greatly appriciated. I can probobly get some pics up if that would help.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrgrizz44 View Post
    So I picked up a 14 ft. Hews Craft River Runner (unknown year) and trailer with a 25 horse Johnson for $500 dollars, with oars and oar locks. It has a steering console and all the parts are in place just not attatched. The boat is in fairly sound shape but needs a new transom soon. The guy has had it just setting in his yard in the weather so I made him an offer and he took it. Basicly I take the boat home and see if I can get it in good running shape before I pay him anything, If I find it needs to much work I take it back to him and he'll let it set again. I was on the boat once several years ago and it ran fine but its been sitting ever since. I cant seem to find any info on a boat like this and could use any insight you guys have, like what is a boat like this worth and what kind of resale value could I get out of it with everything running and id decent shape.I figure its going to take about another 500 to get it in decent shape if I do the work.
    Any comments on this boat would be greatly appriciated. I can probobly get some pics up if that would help.
    My first boat was a 16' rhyan craft w/ a 70's 35 johnson, not quite a big johnson.......
    It had a side console and I had a dandy lift for it (prop), I spent the winter getting it squared away and it worked real well, until I ran the chatanika and abused the lower end gear case, ending up rebuilding it, then sold it and got a jet, I sold it for just over 3K and it was solid and ready to go when I got rid of it.....it was a neat rig......still a lot of parts available for those older motors, unlike cars when you walk in to dealer holding a part from something built in the 70's and they just look away like you crawled out of a cave.................The Boat Shop here in Fbks got what I needed quickly and their prices were as good as I could have bought for online......good luck......
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

I would contact Hewes directly, make sure you have the serial number and they should be able to get you all of the info that you need in regards to year and possibly spare parts. I have a 95 river runner and they sent me a "New" owners manual as well as a parts chart.

I would become good friends with a guy that does good aluminum work too if I were you. Good luck, and enjoy the boat.