Thread: Circle hooks on lures??

Default Circle hooks on lures??

I know people change out the treble hooks on lures and plugs for siwash hooks. Anyone putting circle hooks on em?

Nope...not designed for them and would miss most hits unless the fish enveloped the entire lure and kept it's mouth closed. Perfect, best hook for still bait fishing though, that's what they are designed for.

I suppose with some lures you could incorporate a circle hook. Like Ron said they really are not designed to work that way.
    besides if you are actively working a jig or lure like it was designed to do then you are already ready to set the hook anyway.
    A lure such as a spinner does not lend itself to letting the fish "TAKE" the lure for awhile like you normally do when using a circle hook such as in Halibut fishing.
    You feel a bite and "SET" the hook. Letting the lure drop so the fish can take the lure like you would butt fishing with bait would cause the lure to drop and most likely the fish would drop the hook/lure.
    Since the lure is not real you need to set immediatley before the fish realizes it has been duped and is attempting to eat something metal or plastic or they will drop it like a hot rock most times.
    I have been asked if it was possible to incorporate a circle hook into the lead halibut/rockfish/lingcod jigs I make.
    The jigs that use a split ring and hook or an assist type setup could incorporate a circle hook. Again though not what they were designed for they work best with a J hook and solid hookset.
    The traditional lead heads and such would most likely need modification of the mold to accept the circle hook and you would potentially ruin the mold or at the very least make it difficult to use again with traditional J hooks in that mold. Most molds are designed around using a specific hook with specific dimensions and changing to a circle hook is a big change in dimensions even for the same size hook as the circle design is so different.
    I believe the main reason for changing out a treble is for regulatory reasons or because it is easier to release fish with one hook in them verses three from the treble.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

The only benefit of a circle hook is to prevent a fish from swallowing the bait and getting hooked in the stomach, and to allow the hook to set itself.

Fish don't swallow lures, the agressively grab them in their mouths. Unless you have a J or treble hook that is going to hook into the fish's mouth, you are not going to catch the fish. I can't say it will be impossible to catch a fish using a circle on a lure, I'd say it would be improbable.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Man that sounds like a great idea especially for halibut

Quote Originally Posted by bkbaker View Post
    I know people change out the treble hooks on lures and plugs for siwash hooks. Anyone putting circle hooks on em?
    Circle hooks on lures have certain useful applications. I've found them to work very well on surface poppers for yellowfin tuna, jack crevally and other aggressive surface feeders. However, I've not had them work well on deep water jigs or for trolling lures.

My fishing experience in Alaska is limited to our summer family trips, but I can't imagine a useful application of a circle hook on a lure for saltwater fishing up there. If you frequently gut-hook fish with the lure you use, then give the circle hooks a try. Otherwise it's probably not worth the effort.

I put circle hooks on all of my home made spinners and on all of my reclaimed spinners like vibrax that i find broken. And rarely do i miss a fish. I use them mainly for silvers and kings. In fact just caught a king in Homer with a remanufactured Vibrax and circle hook. I use mainly 5/0 gammy circles but have used up to 7/0. As for design, they work awesome for any fish that aggressively takes a lure and turnes their head thus setting the hook themselves. And i also use them for bouncing roe and hook up better than most.